1999 Dodge Durango Trys to stall when going to stop

WHITEY678
  • 1999 DODGE DURANGO

1999 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

I drive a 1999 Dodge Durango. Had the transmission rebuilt and now after the car heats up and is driven a few miles, it begins to run rough and when going to stop the engine starts cutting out like it wants to stall, and once you actually stop, the engine picks back up but still runs rough. I am not sure what to do, I have replaced the crank shaft position sensor, fuel pump, oxygen sensor, ECU, and tested the throttle position sensor, air intake temperature sensor, MAP sensor and all are in working order. The trucks engine also tries to cut out even if you manual downshift through the gears. Any advice would be nice I cant stand this anymore

Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 7:05 PM

LEGITIMATE007

Hi, I would begin by checking the idle air control valve, and the timing. When was the last time you did a timing belt?

Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 3:46 AM
WHITEY678

I have never did a timing belt, I am pretty sure mine has a timing chain though. When my vehicle goes into limp mode, it runs better, but as soon as I reset the computer it goes back into trying to stall. I recently had my tranny rebuilt, is it possible there was a vacuum line left off?

Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 7:41 AM
LEGITIMATE007

That is quite possible, also the torque convertor clutch relay may be at fault, I dont recall if you have a check engine light on or tcm light on?

Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 10:04 AM
LEGITIMATE007

I would definitely scan it, you know autozone does it for free, this way we can get to the bottom of this without, checking every single possibility

Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 10:05 AM
WHITEY678

I have scanned it I have my own scan tool. I have oxygen sensor circuit low, and fuel system lean. I have replaced the 02 sensors and am still getting the codes. Runs fine while codes are on, but once reset the truck runs like crap

Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 10:39 AM
LEGITIMATE007

Ok the cam and the engine coolant temp sensor helps control fuel. Also fuel pressure regulator, then, what if a couple of the injectors are bad. I wouldnt just replace them, unless you can easily afford it, theres nothing wrong with new parts, but if you cannot afford it, I would test these things first. But like I said, we have those two sensors to look at plus the regulator

Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 11:02 AM
WHITEY678

I have tested all the sensors accept the fuel pressure regulator and all seem to be working, getting the correct voltage for power, and sending out the correct voltage signals. How can I test the regulator and the torque converter clutch? I have taken it to the transmission shop twice and they deny anything is wrong with it after the worked on it, even though it was overfilled by two quarts and the crankshaft sensor was cracked.

Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 11:14 PM
LEGITIMATE007

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 7:08 AM
WHITEY678

Thank you, Will test that tomorrow evening after work. What about testing the torque converter? I just dont understand why it runs okay with the check engine light on, but when reset the truck goes haywire

Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 12:28 PM
2CARPROS LINSEY

Hi whitey678, any luck on on getting fuel pressure test results?

Thursday, April 8th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM
LEGITIMATE007

And what are the scan codes?

Thursday, April 8th, 2010 AT 12:45 PM
WHITEY678

I was getting a constant 42psi of fuel pressure before my fuel pump died and the car wouldnt start. I replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago and have not had a chance to test it again, but the car would actually start. The stalling was not fixed however when I replaced the pump and filter. The codes are 'fuel system lean' and 'oxygen sensor circuit low, bank one' I have replaced my 02 sensors and no luck. I only have problems though when the check engine light is reset. I have replaced the ECM and no luck. Tested all sensors relating to air and fuel mixtures and they are all getting the correct power voltage and sending out the correct voltage ranges. Could I have a vacuum leak somewhere and when the engine light comes on it compensates for the leak?

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 10:35 AM
LEGITIMATE007

Yes a vacuum leak can contribute to this problem, but what I wanted to say is, the oxygen sensor circuit is low, is what the scanner says, which means the harnass or the wiring, does not have a good connection, therefore the computer isnt sending the vehicle into complete closed loop, hence the lean condition. And the fuel pressure is a little too low, I would also check the air intake temp sensor, and fuel pressure regulator if you havent already. And the engine coolant temp sensor, and remember bad sensors wont always cause a check engine light, (one of the bad things about obd). Keep me posted

Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 8:48 AM
WHITEY678

I have tested the air intake temerature sensor, and it is working properly, I have not tested the regulator yet or coolant sensor. I will tonight. I have a buddy who works at a shop and we put it on the lift, the 02 sensor was not grounded, but whoever replaced the sensor cut off the wiring harness and wired it wrong, we rewired and the snapon computer said it was now getting a signal, but was extremely low, they used really cheap wire connectors so I bought a new harness and sensor and will be replacing tonight also. Could it be that from hooking it up wrong it broke the resistor inside the sensor?

Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 8:46 AM
LEGITIMATE007

Yes, this is awesome, so you found some bad wiring in the oxygen sensor harnass/circuit? This might change everything now. Very good, keep me posted, do that first, because you may not need to check the ect

Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
WHITEY678

Alright, So I checked my fuel pressure and am getting a constant 50psi even when cracking the throttle. We found the wiring harness was cut off, so we replaced the harness and sensor, truck runs good now! The codes went away too. However after a few days, I got a code p0133 '02 sensor 1/1 slow response' The truck drives fine, with or without the engine light on. What are some causes of this code? Could the sensor be defective? Could I have a whole new set of problems?

Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
LEGITIMATE007

Awesome, see you never know what others have done to a previous vehicle until you inspect it. Why they did it? I cannot begin to understand. But I do not believe you are looking at another set of problems. I think the o2 is faulty, there is a way to test it, I will let you know in the next post. Or the wiring and or harnass like the other sensor. Anyway good work. I am very happy about this. Look out for the next email/post for the instructions on checking the o2.
Jody

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 8:13 AM
LEGITIMATE007

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_oxygen_sensor.htm

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM
WHITEY678

We used a snap-on computer and watched the voltage to the pcm in real time, while driving around town, all voltage to and from the sensor was correct. I reset the light and it hasnt come back in a few days, So it seems everything is well! Of course now that I say that, something else will break!

Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 7:39 PM
LEGITIMATE007

Very well, keep me posted please

Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 7:46 PM