TRYS TO STALL WHEN GOING TO STOP

1999 Dodge Durango

whitey678

March, 26, 2010 AT 7:05 PM

1999 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

I drive a 1999 Dodge Durango. Had the transmission rebuilt and now after the car heats up and is driven a few miles, it begins to run rough and when going to stop the engine starts cutting out like it wants to stall, and once you actually stop, the engine picks back up but still runs rough. I am not sure what to do, I have replaced the crank shaft position sensor, fuel pump, oxygen sensor, ECU, and tested the throttle position sensor, air intake temperature sensor, MAP sensor and all are in working order. The trucks engine also tries to cut out even if you manual downshift through the gears. Any advice would be nice I cant stand this anymore

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

legitimate007

March, 28, 2010 AT 3:46 AM

Hi, I would begin by checking the idle air control valve, and the timing. When was the last time you did a timing belt?

whitey678

March, 28, 2010 AT 7:41 AM

I have never did a timing belt, I am pretty sure mine has a timing chain though. When my vehicle goes into limp mode, it runs better, but as soon as I reset the computer it goes back into trying to stall. I recently had my tranny rebuilt, is it possible there was a vacuum line left off?

legitimate007

March, 28, 2010 AT 10:04 AM

That is quite possible, also the torque convertor clutch relay may be at fault, I dont recall if you have a check engine light on or tcm light on?

legitimate007

March, 28, 2010 AT 10:05 AM

I would definitely scan it, you know autozone does it for free, this way we can get to the bottom of this without, checking every single possibility

whitey678

March, 28, 2010 AT 10:39 AM

I have scanned it I have my own scan tool. I have oxygen sensor circuit low, and fuel system lean. I have replaced the 02 sensors and am still getting the codes. Runs fine while codes are on, but once reset the truck runs like crap

legitimate007

March, 28, 2010 AT 11:02 AM

Ok the cam and the engine coolant temp sensor helps control fuel. Also fuel pressure regulator, then, what if a couple of the injectors are bad. I wouldnt just replace them, unless you can easily afford it, theres nothing wrong with new parts, but if you cannot afford it, I would test these things first. But like I said, we have those two sensors to look at plus the regulator

whitey678

April, 5, 2010 AT 11:14 PM

I have tested all the sensors accept the fuel pressure regulator and all seem to be working, getting the correct voltage for power, and sending out the correct voltage signals. How can I test the regulator and the torque converter clutch? I have taken it to the transmission shop twice and they deny anything is wrong with it after the worked on it, even though it was overfilled by two quarts and the crankshaft sensor was cracked.

legitimate007

April, 6, 2010 AT 7:08 AM

whitey678

April, 6, 2010 AT 12:28 PM

Thank you, Will test that tomorrow evening after work. What about testing the torque converter? I just dont understand why it runs okay with the check engine light on, but when reset the truck goes haywire

2CarPros Linsey

April, 8, 2010 AT 11:51 AM

Hi whitey678, any luck on on getting fuel pressure test results?