1994 Dodge Dakota fuel pump probs

LOCOTA94
  • 1994 DODGE DAKOTA
I installed an aftermarket fuel pump and fuel cell on my dodge dakota. I spiced the fuel pump power wire into the stock fuel pump power connector. I can start the truck fine but after about 10 minutes at idle the fuel pump starts making a whining noise and the truck just dies. I put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel bar and its reading over 100 psi and my truck only requires 45 psi. I bought a fuel pressure regulator and installed it inline after the fuel pump and it is not regulating at all. Also with the fuel pressure tester installed the pressure holds steady over 100 psi then about 10 minutes at idle the pressure starts to bleed off and the fuel pump starts to surge. I tested the volts on the fuel pump and it starts at about 11.3v then as the fuel pump squeals and the pressure drops the volts jumped to about 13v. I am lost and this problem is killing. I am looking for any input at this time.
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 12:51 AM

Check the return line if its clogged-up
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 1:56 AM
LOCOTA94
I blew out my return line and made sure it wasnt clogged
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 10:38 AM
What kind of fuel system do you have? TBI/MPFI/SFI/CFI?
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 4:38 PM
LOCOTA94
MPFI
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 6:00 PM
Don't you have a fuel pressure regulator built within the fuel rail-Why do you have to install another regulator?
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 6:03 PM
LOCOTA94
Well I got rid of the stock fuel pump and I have looked at a couple of different diagrams all showing my fuel press reg mounted with the fuel pump assy, but yes I assumed there was a pressure regulator on my fuel rail, thats why I bought a after market, right now it is installed on my supply line right after my fuel pump and it is not slowing the fuel down at all. I also have a fuel filter installed but its before the pump, im gonna try putting it in front of the pump because thats how the stock one was
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 9:23 PM
CH112063
If you spliced in and not on a different circuit maybe two pumps are causing too much pressure. Renew original fuel system or run seperate 12 volt key on circuit. Make sure the old pump is not wired at all.
Maybe?
Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 6:01 PM
CH112063
How did your intermittant too high pressure turn out, I still think about your problem. I don't like that Dakota setup but putting an outside unit makes sense but needs the right location, circuit and fuse and the old tank pump has coils for cooling and engineering purposes I guess. It didn't work very good though, lol. See ya locota94
Good year for Dakota's Joe
Tuesday, October 6th, 2009 AT 11:10 AM