1987 Dodge Dakota sTALLS OUT

GARY123456
  • 1987 DODGE DAKOTA
Just bought pickup replaced wire cap roter plugs had problem driving for a while and would stall out. Did check at coil for spark none. Waited 10 15 min started up drove 3 to 5 miles same thing >>So change coil thinking bad coil. Problem solved Nope same crap drive for awhile stall out no spark at coil wait awhile starts up. Any help would be great also Tried to time with timing light could not get enough adjustment on distributer so moved plug wire one hole over didnt work not sure why cannot get timing set 7 degree before tdc have you heard of this? I have heard worn bushing on end of distributor is this so and can it be fixed or do I need whole new distributor. Also if I need a whole new dist.I have heard of replacing with electronic ignition distributor and the getting rid of computer box on fender wall ecm I believe it is called not sure is this possible and is it difficult to do?
Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 8:39 AM

MERLIN2021
Is your check engine light on? If yes turn the key from off to on three times, on the fourth one leave it in the on position, count the flasshes.22 would flash as 2 blinks, then a short puase, then 2 more blinks. If several codes are stored, the pause is longer between codes, code 55 will be the last code. Do this and post all codes found.
Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 8:44 AM
ARIESMACAW
I bought a 1987 Dodge Dakota V6 2 months ago. Had a stalling problem since the get go. Changed the fuel filter, seemed to fix it for a month. Then it started again so we changed it again. Now the problem is it still stalls out as soon as you throw it into drive,
Since we bought it we have changed a lot. To try to fix the problem we have changed

Fuel Filter 2 times
fuel lines
battery
battery terminals
PVC valve
Preheater hose
Spark plugs/wires
distributor cap/rotor

Still having the problem. You can drive the car in reverse no problem. Will sit an idle beautiful. Will REV RPMS fine. As soon as you throw it in drive it stalls.
Had a mechanic friend come out and look at it. Claims its a ignition coil ballast resistor. We pulled the part, pictures included. CAN NOT locate the part. NO ONE sells it. HELP! Do we have the right name? Is it really this part? Where can I find this part?
Truck is beautiful. No rust, paint is good. Engine/Tranny are great. Only 120 thousand miles on it! Do not want to but at the point of scrapping the truck. Help
Wednesday, December 12th, 2012 AT 8:20 PM