1987 Dodge Dakota cold driving

CARRIER2K21
  • 1987 DODGE DAKOTA
I have a 87 dakota with a carburated 3.9L. Its starts and idles good when cold but if I let run only a few minutes when it is cold out it will die(like you turned the key off) within a couple hundred feet, normally it will turn over like there is no spark for about a minute then it starts perfect. Start driving again and about a 1/2 to 1 mile later and it dies again. Then it seems to have to sit for about 10 mintues and will start perfect. If you start it when it is cold out and let it warm up for 15-20 minutes it runs and drives great.
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 10:04 PM

When this happens, have you ever had the chance to check for spark and fuel? Also, have you checked to see the position of the choke butterfly?

Let me know.

Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 9:10 PM
CARRIER2K21
The choke butterrfly is open and I have not had the chance to check for spark. When it did it the first time I had put alittle gas into the carb and it didnt do anything. It did this again just last night and unlike normal it wouldnt start again afterwards. It finially ended up running the battery dead trying to start it. I put booster cables on it and it started immeadiately, but only ran for a few seconds and would die. It did this about 7 times. I had someone else turning it over after that and as soon as I tapped on the coil it started right up. I put a new coil in after that. I had it sitting in the driveway running and after a few minutes it just died. It would restart with a minute or 2 after that everytime. I left it sit, went out this moring and it started perfect and ran great all day. Also, last night after I tapped on the coil it would start and die a couple minutes later, it wouldnt start I would tap the coil and it would take right off. Even while running if I was quick enough when it started to die and tapped the coil it would start running perfect again. I thought I had it figured out but then it kinda started acting the same again last night after I put a new coil in it.
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 9:50 PM
Hi:
It sounds like there is a broken wire or a bad connector on the coil. The wiring can deteriate inside the insulation. I think you basically found the problem, but now you need to take it to the last step. When the truck is running, wiggle one coil wire at a time to see which one is causing the problem. Something tells me you will replace a wire and it will be fine. Also, Chrysler had some splices that would corrode and loose connection, so check for that if you see any. Normally they are within the tape harnessing wiring.

Let me know what you find. This is an interesting one.

Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 1:22 PM
CARRIER2K21
Since I had replaced the coil and seem to start acting the same again, I replaced all th plug wires on it and so far I have not had the problem anymore. Thank You for taking the time to answer my questions.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 8:54 PM