Turn signals not working

ANNJON73
  • DODGE CARAVAN

One day turn signals, hazard lights and all gauges on dash stopped working. I hooked it up to an OBDll scan tool, and can see that everything is working except no one can see them work! When trying to get any codes, the scan tool then says cannot communicate. This is driving me crazy! I am up for inspection next month. I checked all the fuses under the hood. I just replaced the BCM, but now found out only the dealership can reprogram this. I have a bad feeling this is not going to help fix my problems. Any ideas at all?
Thanks!
Ann

Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 9:56 PM

CARUNDELL

Hey Ann,

I took a peek at the wiring diagram and it seems there is an "intelligent power module" located on the left side of the engine compartment. This may be an issue. Some questions. What prompted you to change the BCM? Was it new or used? Did you do any testing on the multi-function switch on the column? Is your scan tool capable of interfacing with the BCM (ie: bidirectional? Meaning you can command the BCM to do certain output controls) for outputs? Let me know and we will go from there.

Chris

-1
Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 9:38 AM
ANNJON73

Hi, I replaced the BCM in hopes that that was the problem. It is a used one, and did not cost squat. I got lucky! Just got back from a Dodge Dealership, and this is what is says on the paper they gave me:

CK for codes 9 codes in BCM/ tried to relearn
Run test found no communication from cluster
Need further Diag/ need to pull out instrument
cluster and CK power/ possible cluster failure

Guess I should start looking at the instrument cluster huh?
Thanks!
Ann

-1
Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 7:33 PM
CARUNDELL

Ann,
Sounds like a plan. Let us know.

Chris

Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 7:50 PM
ANNJON73

Just put in an instrument cluster. No change at all, will I need to have the dealership reprogram to see if this works now, where I had changed the BCM before? I am running out of ideas and time!
Ann

-2
Saturday, February 10th, 2007 AT 1:11 PM
CARUNDELL

Ann,

Ouch, was afraid of that. Time to go deeper! Do you have a multi-meter? (Or at least a test light?) Would strongly recommend the basics first. Powers and grounds! Let me know if you need a diagram and/or procedures.

Chris

+1
Saturday, February 10th, 2007 AT 1:24 PM
ANNJON73

Thank you Chris! Where the heck should I start testing? I do have the Chilton book.

-1
Sunday, February 11th, 2007 AT 8:22 AM
CARUNDELL

Hey Ann,
Start by looking at the wiring diagram for the BCM and I/P, locate the power and ground wires and test each one. Let me know if you need a more detailed diagram.

Chris

+1
Sunday, February 11th, 2007 AT 9:07 AM
ANNJON73

Chris,
I would appreciate detailed wiring scymatics, and your thoughts on trouble shooting procedures. Today, we went through fuses and relay box. Checked for corosion on wiring harnesses, appear to be in good shape, and wrapped.
Thanks,
Ann

-1
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 3:04 PM
CARUNDELL

Very welcome. Let me know if I can help more!

Chris

-1
Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 6:02 PM
SCOT WENTWORTH

Hi Chris, I have the same problem but my mechanic replaced the blinker switch, the gauges cluster, I do not know what it is called but that flat box the wiring harnesses plug into. Replaced the fuse box in the engine compartment, but he checked it with the meter so when ignition key is on the fuse does not light up, but it will if the key is turned off? So do think this is the harness is the problem? Going broke here ! Lol thank you for your time.

Monday, June 26th, 2017 AT 11:20 AM
2CARPROS KEN

What year is your car?

-1
Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 AT 5:49 PM