NON WORKING GAUGES AND TURN SIGNALS!

Dodge Caravan

annjon73

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan SE, 84,000 miles. One day turn signals, hazzard lights and all gauges on dash stopped working. I hooked it up to an OBD ll scan tool, and can see that everything is working except no one can see them work! When trying to get any codes, the scan tool then says cannot communicate. This is driving me crazy! I am up for inspection next month! I checked all the fuses under the hood. I just replaced the BCM, but now found out only the dealership can reprogram this. I have a bad feeling this is not going to help fix my problems. Any ideas at all?
Thanks!
Ann

Turn Signal Fuse

1 ANSWER
1 IMAGE

carundell

January, 22, 2007 AT 9:38 AM

Hey Ann,
I took a peek at the wiring diagram and it seems there is an " Intelligent Power Module" located on the left side of the engine compt. This may be an issue. Some questions. What prompted you to change the BCM? Was it new or used? Did you do any testing on the mutifuntion switch on the column? Is your scan tool capable of interfacing with the BCM (ie: bidirectional? Meaning you can command the BCM to do certain output controls) for outputs? Let me know and we'll go from there!

Chris

annjon73

Hi! I replaced the BCM in hopesthat that was the problem. It is a used one, and didn't cost squat. I got lucky! Just got back from a Dodge Dealership, and this is what is says on the paper they gave me: CK for codes 9 codes in BCM/ tried to relearn
Run test found no communication from cluster
Need further Diag/ need to pull out instrument
cluster and CK power/ possible cluster failure

Guess I should start looking at the instrument cluster huh?
Thanks!
Ann

carundell

Ann,
Sounds like a plan. Let us know

Chris

annjon73

February, 10, 2007 AT 1:11 PM

Just put in an instrument cluster. No change at all, will I need to have the dealership reprogram to see if this works now, where I had changed the BCM before? I am running out of ideas and time!
Ann

carundell

February, 10, 2007 AT 1:24 PM

Ann,
Ouch, was afraid of that. Time to go deeper! Ummm. 1. Do you have a multimeter? (Or at least a test light?) Would strongly recommend the basics first. Powers and grounds! Let me know if you need a diagram and/or procedures!

Chris

annjon73

February, 11, 2007 AT 8:22 AM

Thank you Chris! Where the heck should I start testing? I do have the Chilton book.

carundell

February, 11, 2007 AT 9:07 AM

Hey ann,
Start by looking at the wiring diagram for the bcm and i/p, locate the power and ground wires and test each one. Let me know if you need a more detailed diagram!

Chris

annjon73

February, 18, 2007 AT 3:04 PM

Chris,
I would appreciate detailed wiring scymatics, and your thoughts on trouble shooting procedures. Today, we went through fuses and relay box. Checked for corosion on wiring harnesses, appear to be in good shape, and wrapped.
Ann

carundell

February, 19, 2007 AT 12:52 PM

Ann,
Email w/ diagram and instructions in your inbox!

Chris

annjon73

February, 19, 2007 AT 3:28 PM

Thank you Chris!

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro