Radiator fans do not come on

BACKYARD BOBBY
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
Grand Caravan heat was not working and temperature would go to red then drop.
- I replaced the thermostat.

Heat now works and temperature stays below half way mark. From this it seems water pump is working properly.

However - Radiator is steaming on inside side, radiator is low on fluid.
Twin fans are not coming on.
Seems radiator overflow is directed down edge or front of radiator. I can't follow it under cowl.

-> It seems radiator is not being cooled so, water/anti-freeze is boiling out overflow hose.

I switched windows fuse with Rad Fan fuse. Windows still work but, fans still don't come on.
- Fan fuse must be ok.

How can I test the fans? Do they have in line fuses?

Thank you,

Backyard Bobby
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 2:13 PM

Power the fan motors direct from the battery if both works-check and test the following fan relays, coolant temperature sensor or the engine temperature gauge sender/switch and computer. They do not have inline fuses

See the guides below on wiring testing and relay testing, they will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

The wiring diagram for your cooling fans is attached below
-1
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 3:17 PM
GYORK27205
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN
We have a 1996 dodge grand caravan V6 3.8 engine and our radiator fans are not coming on. We have put in new radiator, replaced fuses, relay fan sensor, coolant temp. Sensor, relays, ac clutch relay, thermostat, hoses, radiator cap. Van just started overheating, noticed fans weren't coming on. Jumped started fans and they worked fine. Also check engine light is not on and scanner doesn't show any bad codes. Do you know of anything else this could be?
+2
Thursday, March 21st, 2019 AT 6:44 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Check engine light on
you must have codes
fan is not working suspect fan module relay
at the front left frame behind the bumper
-1
JULIUSCEASAR
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
Have a 1997 dodge caravan, the engine coolant fans are not coming on. Tried to swap fan relays, checked all fuses, fans work if you put battery voltage. Have no voltage to fans. Don't know if other relays or computer activates fans. Need wiring schematics. Also fans don't come on when a/c is turned on.
BMRFIXIT
Radiator Fan Relayis Located On Front of left frame rail.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_2_23.jpg

-1
SADCENTURION
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
Engine Cooling problem
2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive 207000 miles

Stopped at a drive in bank when drove out noticed heat gauge was moving up, figured it was stuck thermostat, replaced thermo same thing engine heated up, ac didn't get cold, then noticed that both cooling fans had quit working, checked fuse it was blown replaced it two times and blew both new fuses, any ideas as to what the problem may be? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thursday, March 21st, 2019 AT 6:45 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
If your continually blowing the fuse for the fan, it doesn't look good for the fan motor. It can be wiring or something else on the circuit but the fan motor is the biggest suspect. Measuring the draw of the motor would be the next step.
ALYDAR66
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
Hi, I have a 1998 Caravan and the engine cooling fans wont go on. Ive replaced the relay and the temp sensor. I have checked the temp sensor with a ohm meter to make sure the resistance changes when the engine warms up, and it does. Th sensor is working fine. When I pull the connector off the temp sensor the fans go on so I know the fans and fuses are fine. For some reason it seems the computer module isnt sending a signal to the relay to turn the fan on. I get the trouble codes P1491(radiator fan relay circuit fault) and P0118(engine coolant temp circuit high input). I am also having a problem with the air conditioning not working. When I do the self diagnostic test on the A/C the results are that it fails the cool-down test.

Does you have any ideas why the computer module isnt sending a signal to the relay? Could the A/C problem be causing the cooling fans not to come on? Could there be a problem with the computer module?
MASTERTECHTIM
The 1491 is usually caused by a bad fan relay and or a blown fuse feed to the relay. If ok possible bad computer
ALYDAR66
Im not getting the 1491 code anymore that went away when I replaced the relay. But I still get code P0118(engine coolant temp circuit high input) and the fans still dont go on. The sensor seems to be working because I tested it in a pot off boiling water and measured the resistance while it was still on the car. For some reason the PMC wont tell the fans to go on.
MASTERTECHTIM
Now we need to install a scan tool and watch the temp at the computer
MARK4613
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN
Neither of my cooling fans are working. I have replaced radiator cap, and fan relay. Fans work, I have wired them directly to the battery, and I control them from a toggle switch, although I don't want the fans to burn out so I am driving it sparingly until I can remedy the problem.
Try testing the coolant temperature sensor and the engine temperature gauge switch
-1
RON CURRIE
  • 2006 DODGE CARAVAN
Check engine light came on. Code P0480. Replaced engine coolant temperature sensor. Didn't fix the problem. Fan motors still not working. What else could be causing this problem.
SATURNTECH9
The code is for for fan relay control circuit so that wouldn't be a bad coolant temp sensor. Its a problem in the fan circuit. The first thing they have you do for that code is command the fan on with a scan tool. Which I doubt you have a high end scan tool that can do that?I have seen bad relays on those vans it could be a lot of different things. Have you checked fuses yet?Also do you have a multi meter to do some testing?
+2
NAVET902
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN
Engine Cooling problem
1993 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145k miles

I recently had my Grand caravan overheat and blow the radiator. I replaced it and when doing my checks found the radiator fan would not turn on when the engine heat began to rise. I swapped relays( assuming I got the right ones) and still nothing. I jumpered the wiring harness straight to the battery positve and negative terminals and the fan started spinning with ease. Any idea what it can be. I am waiting for the engine to cool then I will only jump the postive side of the fan harness to ensure I am getting a good ground to the fan motor. If your have any other ideas I would greatly apprecaite the assistance.
-1
LEGITIMATE007
Hi navet902, begin by checking/changing the engine coolant temperature sensor, very inexpensive, and is usually the culprit. Then remember, there should be a radiator fan relay, a airconditioning fan relay(even though there may only be one fan)
NAVET902
I left the wiring harness connected to the fan motor assembly. I jumpered postive to each of the yel, grn and light grn wires one at a time. Both grn wires ran the motor with no problem the yel wire did nothing. Not sure what the yellow wire goes to but. So it appears the fan motor is good. Anxiously waiting your reply.
NAVET902
Can you tell me where the engine coolant temp sensor is located? I will replace that this afternoon and let you know how that turned out. Thanks
NAVET902
Hi,

Replace the coolant temp sensor and nothing happened until I swapped the relay with the ac fan relay. Looks like I had two issues, because I tryed this before without of couse replceing the temp sensor. So the two issues was a bad temp sensor and the other was a bad relay. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.