2000 DODGE CARAVAN SERPENTINE BELT AND TENSIONER

• FMOORE
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN

Other Category problem
2000 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

In 2006 my mechanic replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner. This lasted about a year and a half, at which time, after several times replacing the belt, a new tensioner and belt were installed.
This was in the middle of December, 2007.
Since then I have been back to the mechanic at least 3 times for the belt replacement, the most recent being 2 days ago. After those 2 days, the belt once again ended up in the street.
My mechanic is telling me the only sure fix is to install a new kit of some kind with a different belt and some additional parts to make sure it doesn't jump off, at a cost of over $300.
He's also telling me my problems are a result of a "Chrysler design flaw".
The tensioner that was installed in December has a one-year warranty.
If this is indeed a Chrysler design flaw, shouldn't they be held responsible for some of the cost of this "new" kit?
Is this, in fact, the only solution?

Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 11:18 AM

• Merlin2021

If it is a design flaw, Dodge does not have any TSB out yet! Check your crankshaft, see if it moves in and out, while it's running, if it does, you may have a thrust bearing problem, any engine performance issues?

Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 11:39 AM
  • FMOORE

No performance issues to speak of. Still getting close to 20 mpg in the city. A little less now in the cold weather hee in Michigan due to warming up the car :)
I did have the transmission replaced back in August, with a couple of minor leaks "snugged up" just this week.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Saturday, February 9th, 2008 AT 12:03 PM