While driving brakes failed and the pedal went to the floor

JBENTL01
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
The brakes in my van just stopped working the other day. I left my home and they were fine. Two miles later they failed and the pedal went to the floor. I replaced the rear cylinders four months ago, but no problems until now. Any ideas?
Sunday, September 21st, 2008 AT 9:42 AM

Sounds like the master cylinder may be by-passing internally. This will happen sometimes when the seals inside become work and cannot always hold pressure.
See the guides below on this issue, they will help shed some light on what is going on and how to repair it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-brake-master-cylinder

See the images below for replacement of the master cylinder
Sunday, September 21st, 2008 AT 9:51 AM
BILL SHEA
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
The brakes on my van goes to floor replaced master cylinder and checked for any leaks and you bleed the brakes and it will last about four days and than they will go to floor again if you bleed them they will last again for four days.

I replaced master cylinder and checked for leaks if you bleed the brakes they will work for about four days than if you bleed them again they will last about four days again. The master cylinder never needs fluid?
Monday, September 24th, 2018 AT 6:09 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Is the master new, used or rebuilt?
BILL SHEA
New.
BILL SHEA
Brand new not rebuilt.
KHLOW2008
If the system is not using up fluids and the master cylinder is new and bleeding works, this is something that requires some head scratching.

Check the booster to pedal push rod free play. Ensure it has a little movement of the pedal before the push rod moves.

If vehicle is equipped with ABS, it could be the one causing the problem.
BILL SHEA
Is there a way to bypass the ABS?
DAWGTUFF
  • 1989 DODGE CARAVAN
Brake pedal goes half way to floor, fluid is fine, pads are fine.
SATURNTECH9
Have you checked to see if the rear brake shoes are properly adjusted? If there too far out of adjustment then it can cause a low pedal.
KHLOW2008
You would need to remove the ABS control unit and install with a proportioning control valve. However, for some areas it is an offence to do such modifications so ensure you are not breaking the law by doing so.
If there is no external leak and brake shoes adjusted and bleed properly-could be the brake master cylinder has an internal leak.
KEN
Have you replaced the rear wheel cylinders? Air can sometimes get sucked in when releasing the brake pedal.
ANGELA RICHARDS- JOHNSON
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
Hi, our van has been to multiple mechanics. We had good brakes but our ABS was not working. Our mechanic put in a new ABS module now the ABS is working, but the brakes are horrible unless I pump them. We have changed the calipers, master brake cylinder twice because we thought the first one might be faulty. All rotors and pads have been replaced, bled out the system by three different mechanics and the brake lines have all been tested for leaks by a certified mechanic and no leaks. We do not know what to do now, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Angela
AL514
The ABS module has to be bleed using a scan tool that can command the solenoids open. There is still air in the system, pumping up the pedal is just building pressure temporarily. Common issue when the ABS mod. Is replaced. They need to be bled correctly.
ANGELA RICHARDS- JOHNSON
The dealership said that they did that, they bled the ABS system and said they activated the ABS module and that it must be the master brake cylinder causing the problem. After replacing it again we had the same result.
AL514
Then they diagnosed the problem wrong. After replacing the master you will have to re-bleed the ABS system again or you will still have air in the lines. They should have been able to repair this problem for you from the start. They are the most qualified techs for this vehicle. There should be no reason they are not directing you in the right direction. They are supposed to be the expert's.
KEVIN SCHLARB
  • 1994 DODGE CARAVAN
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic.

My sons' van. The other day he had no brakes, he put more brake fluid in but still no brakes. The master cylinder was leaking so I replaced it, but when I bleed the brakes, fluid came out in the beginning but now I get nothing unless you leave it for an hour or so then brake fluid will come out for one cycle of bleeding. Checked the vacuum on the power booster and it works fine. Could it be the power booster itself?
Did you bench bleed the new master cylinder?

Could it be the power booster itself?

To check the vacuum booster, pump the brake pedal with the engine off until you have bled off all the vacuum from the unit. Then hold the pedal down and start the engine. You should feel the pedal depress slightly as engine vacuum enters the booster and pulls on the diaphragm. No change? Then check the vacuum hose connection and engine vacuum. If okay, the problem is in the booster and the booster needs to be replaced.
JALOPYPAPA
When you replaced the master cylinder, did your bleeding procedure include bench-bleeding the master cylinder before installing it? I have not done one of these. Or not in more than thirty years, anyway.

But I understand that before installing the master cylinder, you have got to put threaded plugs in the two outlets, fill the reservoir, open one plug, depress the piston, hold the piston there while your reinsert the plug and then release the piston. Then repeat the process on the other outlet.
TKS1
  • 1995 DODGE CARAVAN
When installing front pads on car, I used a C clamp to push the piston back. I did not open bleeder valve. After installing pads on both wheels, I looked at master cylinder and fluid was gone. Fluid all over engine compartment. Filled reservoir with fluid and tried to bleed brakes, Can not get a hard pedal. Did I damage ABS system and can I fix it? Have done brakes many times, never emptied a reservoir before, or had one spray fluid with such force. Will a power bleeder do me any good? I do have access to one.

Thank you,
Ted