1994 Dodge Caravan red light is on

MARKSAL2
  • 1994 DODGE CARAVAN
1994 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 190k miles

This little red light is located just under the buttons that turn on the back window wipers and the front window wipers. It came on 2 days ago and stayed on when I parked it in front of the apartment. I didn't drive the car for 2 days and when I went out to go to the store, the battery was dead. The battery is less than a year old and the car has always started the minute the key is turned. What is the red light for and how do I fix it. Thanks for any help you can give me. Ed Salley
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 3:11 PM

Can you describe what the light looks like? I just ran out and looked at mine, and there's no red light. The right switches are "rear washer", and "rear wiper" side by side, "overdrive off" under it, and "rear defroster" under that. The two bottom switches have yellow indicator lights. Both of those should go off when the ignition switch is turned off.

The front wiper is part of the turn signal stalk.

Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 3:37 PM
MARKSAL2
Just to the right of the steering wheel there is a place where three buttons are lined up one on top of the other. The top one is for the front window wipers, the second one is for the rear window wiper and below it is something that looks like a button but isn't and in the middle of the spot is a small raised red light. It has been off for over a year that I have had the van but now is on red. It is just left of the radio and ac/heater section. Ed
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 3:55 PM
MARKSAL2
Sorry, you were right, it is top row is rear window wipers, 2nd row is rear defroster and on the lower part is where the little red light is located. Ed
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 3:59 PM
That sounds like an LED and is not factory original. Look for an aftermarket anti-theft system. Some systems have a disarm switch mounted below the steering wheel, and some have a switch added under the hood to detect when the hood is opened. I'm not familiar with how these systems work, but if you see a speaker / horn under the hood, that will be your proof of an aftermarket system.

So do I understand your front wipers are not part of the signal switch? The van I looked at is a '95 model, but I worked on lots of minivans at the dealership, and I don't remember a front wiper on the dash. Doesn't mean they didn't; I just dont remember.

Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 4:07 PM
MARKSAL2
You were right about the front windows are on the turn signal arm. The other button on the spot where I was talking about is for the rear defroster. This van was only used by a rural postal worker befor I bought it so I don't think there is any aftermarket things on it. There is no horn under the hood or speaker below the steering column. I just don't know what to do as I am a Senior on a very fixed low income. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks, Ed Salley
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 4:18 PM
Let me clarify my earlier statement. Some anti-theft systems have a horn-shaped speaker under the hood. They are not the same as a standard horn. There's no speaker under the dash but the custom add-on systems could have a switch to turn the system off. That switch, (if it even exists), could be hidden anywhere, but under the dash is a common place because it has to be convenient to reach.

If there is no add-on anti-theft system, I can't imagine what that red light would be for. LEDs draw such little current, it alone would not kill the battery for many months.

On a related note, my mother had a dead battery at least four times with her '95. Every time, after jump-starting it, I found the left overhead light turned on just behind the mirror. She never knew they were there at first, and claimed to never have used them. I never figured out if she was bumping it while hoisting her purse out or whether a plastic latch was deformed and letting go. She never noticed it coming on at night by itself, but I did see it turned on once myself. It's worth looking at if you have those lights in the overhead console. That light can kill a battery overnight.

Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 4:41 PM
MARKSAL2
Hey, thank you for your help. I will go check out the light behind the mirror and I know there is one behind the visor on the passenger side. Anyway, if I can't solve it I will have to wait til I get the money to have it fixed. Once again, thanks for your trouble and have a great evening. Ed Salley
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 4:51 PM
2CARPROS LINSEY
Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 2:36 PM