1994 DODGE CARAVAN OVERHEATING

• Litatude
  • 1994 Dodge Caravan

I have a 1994 Dodge Caravan 6 cylinder 3.0 with 84,213 miles. Three days ago it started overheating so I changed the thermostat and it still overheated so I tried flushing the radiator and it still overheats. I checked the oil dipstick and the exhaust for water and I don't see any so I ruled out the head gasket. Does that mean its my water pump? The water pump was just replaced in January of 2002 before I moved from Michigan to California. Could it go bad again in just four years?

Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 AT 4:14 PM

• vandragon

I have seen water pumps go bad in less than a month if they are rebuilds. The blades on the inside of the pump start slipping and you get much less coolant flow. Are the cooling fans working? I have seen heads crack on the inside on a water jacket and do the same thing. The 3.0 is a mitsu motor and has head problems. The 3.0 has a thermostat alignment bridge just under the thermostat. If you don't align the birdge across the top of the thermostat with the bridge or dam in the caststing it will over heat also. Go to a parts store and have them pull it up on the computer so you can see what I mean.

Wednesday, April 26th, 2006 AT 11:04 AM