BYPASSING POWER STEERING PUMP

1994 Dodge Caravan

mrlambert1259

June, 18, 2010 AT 7:33 PM

Noises problem
1994 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive 200543 miles

Have 94 dodge grand caravan se 6 cylinder 3.3. Power steering unit possibly going out bad pulley noise, want to bypass. Need to know if possible and what serpintine belt and new diagram

Jacobandnickolas

June, 18, 2010 AT 10:31 PM

They all came with power steering that year, so there is no routing diagram without it. If you plan to bypass the pump, you will need to measure for a belt and determine the best way to reroute it.

For some reason, I am thinking that there is a serp belt on your car and a seperate V-belt for the PS.

mrlambert1259

June, 18, 2010 AT 11:44 PM

No its just one belt. Problem is it goes under shaft pulley over tensioner and under ps pulley then up and over alternator, dont know if tensioner wheel will create enough tension with smaller belt

Jacobandnickolas

June, 19, 2010 AT 12:17 AM

That is a good question. I've never tried it. Have you considered trying to get a good pump from a salvage yard?

mrlambert1259

June, 19, 2010 AT 12:38 AM

Yes I have! But have u seen where the pump is located? Damn near gotta pull motor out or take out right corner panel and wheel well just to get to it. I just want to make thats the actual problem before I do all that work and find out im wrong.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 20, 2010 AT 12:33 AM

Yes, they are a pain.

Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX