1993 Dodge Caravan car stalled

ALYXKA
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN
1993 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

i replaced my spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap & rotor today. I had to remove the air intake manifold to get to the rear spark plugs. Car started fine & ran great after I put everything back together. I drove for about 20 minutes (mostly on the freeway). When I got off the freeway I stopped at a light. When I hit the gas it started to go & then stalled. Now when I turn the key, it turns over but doesnt start. If I turn it more than twice it makes a loud 'chugging' noise. A passing driver said it was the fuel pump, but I think it must be something I did when I was working on the spark plugs. I backtracked everything I did & couldnt find any loose wires or hoses.
any ideas?
Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 10:13 PM

CH112063
I think you mean the air cleaner housing.
The black rectangular box that the air filter goes in.
You did not remove anything metallic with bolts like the intake plenum or anything, did you? If you have high mileage, it may be a fuel pump, on a 3.0l or 3.3l the fuel pump is a big problem. It may be aq coincidence, even if you had a hose like a vacuum hose I think you would have seen and felt it immediately and you doublechecked your work. Maybe the dist. Cap or rotor is not right? Sometimes things just happen, but I don't understand the chugging sound unlerss you have a miss in the engine. A single plug or wire will have a miss in the engine but a no start is the cap, rotor area, or a new fuel pump problem. If it is a 93, and never been replaced it should be replaced anyway. Common problem. Joe
Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 11:45 PM
ALYXKA
That was very helpfull. It was the air cleaner housing I took off. I'm new to car repair and I don't know what all the parts are called. I did notice something off when I removed the air cleaner housing originally: on the passenger side of the housing there are 2 nipples but only 1 hose attached to the upper one.I thought that was odd but I didn't see any loose hose to connect to the lower one so I ignored it. Am I missing a hose and if so what should it connect to? I had trouble getting the bolt on to fasten the rotor so I'm going to check that next + see if its loose. I saw on another website that this problem could be caused by the "hall effect pickup" which is under the distribtor cap, but I don't know what it looks like. Do you know anything about that?
Thanks again
Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 10:37 AM
CH112063
Yeah. The hall effect pick-up never failed on a 3.0L in all the years I have been with Chrysler but it certainly could. If no hose on lower nipple dont worry. The rotor must be on correctly. It distributes(get it distributes lol) the coil spark to all of the plug wires. So if it is not secured or something about it is wrong, a no start will follow very soom. The coil wire from the center of the cap to the small coil is very important.
The engine hall effect pick up is down deep in distributor under the rotor. May be there could be dirt in it or it may have failed or be disconnected.
You should not worry about the nipple on the bottom of the air cleaner housing if it was hoseless to begin with. It always had a drain. If a nipple on thr intake plenum is open or disconnected, plug it or find the hose for it.I don't think you you would have missed that.
Right now the rotor is the place to look.
That screw can become tight but because it is stripped threads, not really positioned properly. If your having trouble again, let me know tomorrow, and take your time, keep your cool. Only a van and not a health issue. It can and will be repaired. It may have nothing to do with what you did.
I know, only mechanics and technicians know the lingo of these parts, your normal.
And your welcome. They have a manual for your van on this site.
Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 6:58 PM