STALLING...

1997 Dodge Avenger

dognayr15

March, 10, 2010 AT 10:56 PM

1997 Dodge Avenger 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 105000 miles

My car has been running fine. Then about a week ago I went down to autozone because my check engine light came on. They said I had to replace the oxygen sensor. And then just yesterday when I went to start my car, it started but after the RPM's went up the car stalled. So I have to hold in the clutch and constantly give it gas. Then once I actually get the car going, if I stop accelerating then it will stall. I am afraid to keep going with the way it is because I will burn out my clutch. Could this be because I have a faulty oxygen sensor or would it be my clutch is already burnt out.

Recent work I have done on car: replaced alternator and the alternator belt. Replaced the serpentine belt.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

caradiodoc

March, 11, 2010 AT 5:18 PM

The stalling could be related to the alternator repair. The battery had to be disconnected which would cause the Engine Computer to lose its memory. Minimum throttle must be relearned before the computer will know when it must control idle speed. To meet the conditions for the procedure to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals. Don't press the clutch pedal. The computer needs to see the high intake manifold vacuum that coasting causes.

" Then once I actually get the car going, if I stop accelerating then it will stall" If by " stop accelerating" you mean you remove your foot from the gas pedal, do the coasting relearn procedure. If you mean you hold the gas pedal steady to maintain a constant speed, and that's when it stalls, that is a common symptom of a MAP sensor that is beginning to fail. The clue is the engine will continue to run, (poorly), as long as the gas pedal is moving. Position and direction don't matter.