How to delete Key Fob's?

CANDO1
  • 2008 CADILLAC STS
I only have one fob when trying to add 2 new ones I cannot add. My car says it has reached the max Key Fobs. I have no idea what other fob's are in my car's programming. How do I delete the Key fob's in my car so I can add the 2 I just got?
Friday, October 16th, 2020 AT 11:24 AM

STEVE W.
Your car allows a maximum of 4 key fobs to be programmed into it. From your description I would say that someone had already added at least 2 onto the factory 2. There are 3 ways to program in new fobs on that car. The first one is likely the one you are using that shows that all of the spaces are taken. The next method uses a scan tool to go in, erase all of the fobs and then you can add the three you have back in. This is actually the easiest and safest way to do the process.
The third method is below It takes the longest time of all methods and if you make a mistake you have to start over from the beginning. Pay very close attention to the warnings as you can also cause the fobs to be useless if you miss the last couple of steps.

Method 3 - Erasing/Adding Key Fobs (No Known Fob Available)

This procedure will first erase all known key fobs. The procedure will then program a single key fob or multiple key fobs. Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have a replacement key fob and the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important - Do not place any known good key fobs within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good key fob during Method 3 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
2. Place the new/replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward.
3. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
4. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.

5. Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.
6. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
7. When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.

9. At the end of the 30 minute cycle, a beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key fobs have been erased. When fob 1 is programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
10. Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
11. If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.

Important - Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the UNLOCK button of each key fob programmed will result in that fob being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is require to ensure transmitter operation.

12. Press the UNLOCK button on each key fob that was programmed to finalize the programming and confirm system operation.
+1
Friday, October 16th, 2020 AT 12:02 PM

Sponsored links