When I plug my cluster up, all of the gauges jump

JEFFBERNARD2003
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I know there's power, but none of the gauges are reading at all. Seems like something shorted out and since that happened the dome override button lost function. All lights work. I can't seem to figure out where the cluster ties into any of the fuses anywhere. Please help.
Tuesday, April 9th, 2019 AT 2:02 PM

KASEKENNY1
Hi jeffbernard2003,

It is possible these are related but before we condemn anything, I would want you to define your statement of the cluster has power. Can you tell me where you are taking your voltage reading and what the voltage is? I attached the wiring diagram for the cluster.

I also attached the dome light wiring diagram and I noticed that the dome switch is an input to the Body control module. The BCM then sends its signal to the cluster.

Also, the cluster gets all its gauge inputs either directly from the sensor like the oil pressure sensor, or from the controlling module. An example here would be the PCM sends the tachometer signal that it receives from the vehicle speed sensor. So the PCM does the calculation and just sends a signal for the tachometer and the cluster just displays what it receives. This is important because if nothing in the cluster is working then it is most likely something with the cluster itself because the chances are almost 0 that all your inputs would be bad.

So let me know what your voltage readings are and where then also verify you have a good ground for the cluster. It appears the ground for this is G100 and I attached a location for that as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring
Wednesday, April 10th, 2019 AT 6:47 PM
JEFFBERNARD2003
When I say I know I have power I meant, when I plug in the IP cluster all of the gauge needles jump all the way up. All lights come on and stay on. Shift information screen an odometer are on and accurate. The information screen the right flashes security a few times and then battery and it repeats back and forth between each. Check engine, cruise, and all other lights aren't coming on. Cruise works though. Also compass and outside temperature screen on rear view mirror went off. I'll recheck voltage this weekend. Thank you for responding and posting diagrams.
Friday, April 12th, 2019 AT 6:17 AM
KASEKENNY1
Hi Jeff,

Just checking on you to see if you made any progress. Please let me know if you need anything further and I will see what I can do.

Also, is it possible to see if you have an Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)? If you don't have a scan tool then you can stop by a parts store and have them scan it for you.

Sunday, April 14th, 2019 AT 5:34 PM