Code B1342 and "service RSC now" alarm

TYPE85
  • 2008 FORD EXPLORER
About a week ago I started getting this warning, it goes off about every 5 minutes when driving.
I tried testing the two from ABS sensors with a voltmeter, but I couldn't get a reading out of either, meter was set to 2V a/c.
Drivers sensor has only about 10,000 miles on it. I have not tested the rear sensors. Could it possibly be the ABS module?
PS, check engine light was cleared, it was a different issue.
Tuesday, May 12th, 2020 AT 6:57 PM

Hi,

RSC stands for roll stability control. As you may already be aware, the RSC system is integrated with the ABS and based on the condition's description, it sounds like you probably either have a wiring issue or least one of the wheel speed sensors is bad. However, it could be the module itself.

I would start by checking the rear sensors as well. Here is a link you may find helpful:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-wheel-speed-sensor-test

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, May 12th, 2020 AT 8:40 PM
TYPE85
Update,
I added "wheel speed rate/mph" to my OBDII reader/display, I'm seeing consistent speed on all four wheels. So the ABS sensors must be working?
Tuesday, May 12th, 2020 AT 8:55 PM
That is correct. If you are seeing that via a scan tool, then there are no connection issues. That leaves the module. I was afraid you were going to say that the sensors were working. The ABS module is bad. See the attached pic. Please note that if there are other codes than the B1342, I need to know before you replace the module.

Here are the directions for replacing it. The attached pic (pic 2) correlates with the directions.

____________________

2008 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD V6-4.0L
Removal and Replacement
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Relays and Modules - Brakes and Traction Control Electronic Brake Control Module Service and Repair Removal and Replacement
REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module

Pic 2

Removal and Installation

CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to electrical charges. The anti-lock brake system (ABS) module can be damaged if exposed to these charges.

NOTE: When installing a new ABS module, it must be configured (using vehicle as-built data) and calibrated. Follow the scan tool directions for the calibration procedures. For module configuration, refer to Programmable Module Installation in Information Bus (Module Configuration).

1. Remove the hydraulic control unit (HCU).
2. Remove the 4 screws and the ABS module.
To install, tighten to 2 Nm (18 lb-in).

3. CAUTION: Make sure that the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module is properly seated to the hydraulic control unit (HCU) and that the torque of the ABS module screws is correct, or damage to the components can occur.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

____________________________________

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,
+1
Tuesday, May 12th, 2020 AT 9:27 PM
TYPE85
Thanks!
I don't have any other codes, the screenshot above shows the detail of the only code.
also, the ABS module is under the center console?

I'm looking at a used module:
https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=California&userIMS=&userInterchange=BE%3F&userSide=&userDate=2008&userDate2=2008&dbModel=27.15.1.1&userModel=Ford%20Explorer&dbPart=591.1&userPart=Anti-Lock%20Brake%20Computer&sessionID=14000000066764207&sURL=www.car-part.com&userPreference=year&userZip=91602&userLat=34.1506000&userLong=-118.3666000&userIntSelect=857832&userVIN=1FMEU63E58U******&dbModel=27.15.1.1&vinSearch=1&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=

I assume I should by a 2008 Explorer module?
Does it need any kind of programming?
Thanks!
Tuesday, May 12th, 2020 AT 9:48 PM
Hi,

It's under the hood. See the pic I attached pics.

As far as a replacement, make sure it has the same part number. Otherwise, there is a good chance it won't work. Have you checked online for one that is re manufactured? If not, try that. Also, when you install it, you will have to follow configured to work on your vehicle. That will require an upper level scan tool.

Also, when it is replaced, it will need bled using a scan tool as well. Here are the directions.

2008 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD V6-4.0L
ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Bleeding
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Hydraulic System Brake Bleeding Service and Repair Procedures ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Bleeding
ABS HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT (HCU) BLEEDING

WARNING: Do not use any fluid other than clean brake fluid meeting manufacturer's specification. Additionally, do not use brake fluid that has been previously drained. Following these instructions will help prevent system contamination, brake component damage and the risk of serious personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

WARNING: Do not allow the brake master cylinder to run dry during the bleeding operation. Master cylinder may be damaged if operated without fluid, resulting in degraded braking performance. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

NOTE: This procedure is only required when a new hydraulic control unit (HCU) is installed.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system is disconnected for repair or installation of new components, air can get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it is correctly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.

1. NOTE: Carrying out the System Bleed function drives trapped air from the HCU. Subsequent bleeding removes the air from the brake hydraulic system through the bleeder screws.

NOTE: Adequate voltage to the HCU module is required during the anti-lock control portion of the system bleed.

Connect the scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Access the ABS HCU bleed function and follow the directions on the scan tool.
3. Manually bleed the brake hydraulic system.
4. Repeat the procedure carrying out a total of 2 scan tool cycles and 2 manual bleed cycles

___________________________

Take care,
Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 AT 7:28 PM
TYPE85
Apologies, I confused this with the "Yaw Rate Sensor", (it's under the center console).
I assume it isn't the issue?
It looks like I'll need to take it to a shop if I need to use a scan tool during the bleeding process, I have a pressure bleeder, so I can bleed the braked manually, but I don't think my scan tool can do the operation you described above.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 AT 9:04 PM
Hi,

I'm not familiar with the scan tool you have. I'm not sure if what it is capable of doing. Sorry about that.

Please let me know how things turn out or if you have other questions.

Take care,
Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 AT 9:40 PM

Sponsored links