Clunking

TMCINTOSH11
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER

Just recently I noticed when slowing down I would feel a repeated clunking, I would not hear anything and it does not affect the performance at all, it still shifts and accelerates just fine. No lights are on or flashing, it does it with o/d on or off, and with the air conditioner on or off. I hope it is not the transmission going out, I cannot check the transmission fluid because it is one of those maintenance free transmission. I do not know if the differential fluid needs changed or if that would have anything to do with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 2:21 PM

SATURNTECH9

Is it coming from the rear end?Has it been a really long time since the rear end fluid has been changed?

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 4:33 PM
TMCINTOSH11

I cannot really tell were it is coming from, it is like running over small bumps in the road repeatedly, it makes the truck jerk slightly, as for the rear differential fluid I am not sure, I have had front wheel drive cars all my life, this is the first rear wheel drive/four wheel drive vehicle I have had, I am not even sure when I am supposed to change it. If I had to guess I would say it probably needs changed.

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 5:09 AM
SATURNTECH9

You change the fluid every 50,000 miles when the fluid gets moisture and age it can cause clunking in the rear end. The first thing you need to do is see if it is the rear end.

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 7:09 AM
TMCINTOSH11

Okay, and is there a front differential that needs changed? If so I will change both and see if that helps the problem. I am just afraid it is the transmission because I do not know how to check it.

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 7:45 AM
SATURNTECH9

If you have four wheel drive yes there is a front one also. Make sure you call Ford because there are different rear ends and front ends that need different fluid and a additive.

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 12:10 PM
TMCINTOSH11

Ok, I was wondering what type to use, do you think since its got some mileage on it and god knows if it's ever been changed if I should get some lucas for it?

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 1:58 PM

Have you checked the u-joints on either end of the drive shaft?

Gonna leave you a few pics,

1-2) a pump you can get for $5-$7 at a parts store to make it ez-ier to install the fluid (disregard the type I'm using SATURNTECH9 will tell you what you need)

3-4) checking a u-joint, chock wheels, put it in neutral

I'll let y'all continue!

The Medic

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 3:15 PM
TMCINTOSH11

The u-joints were one thing I thought about, thanks for the images, I'm new to the 4wd drivetrain, hopefully it one of the two, I got kinda confused thought, I asked a ford dealership what type of differential fluid to use and he asked for the last 8 digits of the vin and looked it up and told me to use 80-90 on both front and rear, but autozone's computer recommended a different type, which do you think I should use? And should it be synthetic limited slip? Thanks.

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 5:07 PM
SATURNTECH9

I would go with what Ford tells you also you need to ask Ford if you need to add there additive for limited slip for the front or the rear. Also I use Valvoline synthetic gear oil when I change rear end fluid. Usually when a u joint is that bad it will make noise when putting it in drive with your foot on the brake. But check the u joints.

Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 6:57 PM
TMCINTOSH11

Got ya, thanks for your help, I'll let you know what I find out.

Saturday, August 13th, 2016 AT 4:52 AM