2001 Chrysler Town and Country Randomly won't start

RMENDEZ8
  • 2001 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
I recently bought a used Chrysler Town & Country and the first night I brought it home, we had an incident. The car turned on and would turn off right way. This happended three times and on the 4th time and every time after that the car would not turn on at all. The next morning the car turned on just fine and it worked perfectly for over a month until the same thing happended again a few days ago. Only this time it took about 10 minutes until the car was operating fine. What could be wrong? It's working fine right now but it is probably going to happen again.
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 2:43 PM

Hi:
The only way to know is if you can check for spark and fuel when the car won't start. IS the check engine light on? Also, when it won't start, does the engine turn over?
+1
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 8:55 PM
RMENDEZ8
Thanks for your reply. No the check engine light is not on and no, when it does not start at all, the engine does not turn over. No sounds, nothing.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 10:53 AM
RMENDEZ8
JacobandNicolas, I've been looking at other posts in this forum and many other owners have had similar problems with this vehicle randomly not starting, but I have not seen any success stories, as far as any of them finding a solution to this problem. I'll keep looking. Thanks, Robert
-1
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 12:20 PM
Hi Robert:

What I need you to do is check at the starter for power when you try to start it. You will need a helper to complete this. When the problem occurrs, take a volt meter (or a test light) and place it on the small wire going to the starter. Next, have someone turn the key. You should be getting 12 volts when the key is in the start position. If the power is there, you most likely have a starter problem. If no power is there, go to the starter relay. It should be in the power distribution box under the hood. There will be other relay in there too. Try to find an exact match between the starter relay and one of the others. If you can, switch them and see if that makes a change.

Let me know what you find. Also, you're right. It's really difficult to diagnose this type of problem over the net. But if you stick with me, we'll find the solution. Keep in mind, Chrysler starters are well built, but they have a couple weak links in them.

+2
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 3:19 PM
RMENDEZ8
After doing extensive research, I think I have finally found an answer to my car problem. For some reason the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIM) does not recoginze my key sometimes. The car manual says that if this happens the engine will automatically shut off after 2 seconds. This is an anti-theft feature. Now I just have to figure out how much it's going to cost to fix this problem.
-1
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 7:51 PM
GILLYS
HI
i think I have a similar problem with my 2001 chrysler t&c lxi 150000.
How did you manage to fix your problem?
Thank you so much for sharing the info.
Pinny
Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 AT 9:39 AM
SPEACHEY
I too have a 99 t&c. Its been sitting in my drive for over a yr and a half, I gave up on it after I took it too the dealership for the 10th time they finally found that it may be the SKIM & something else. But it was going to cost me more than the van was worth so I decieded not to get it fixed.I have also heard that replacing the instrument cluster has also fixed the problem.I had posted was the mechanic had said the prob was with the random starting on this form but it was from about a yr and half ago if you can find it?
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 12:22 PM
GILLYS
I had the same problem.
One morning the skim doe's not recognize my key.
I had a few "experts" look into it.
1 said I need a new 700$ part(not the computer), which I can get only from the dealer - "yeh, sure"!
I tried buying some more keys and cutting them, which was not easy as older car models(need special key - I got from ebay 13$, need special code locksmith could get - paid 40$ a key to cut. One dealer wanted 200$ for 1 key!).
Turned out wrong diagnostic.
Eventually I ended up buying a new computer(rebuilt of course).
After checking the dealer 700$ without installation! I found an online store both on ebay and web
www. Autocomputerexchange. Com
i bought for 200$ a computer programmed to my exact car(they require to send the old one after you receive the new).
By the way you could get it for 70$ or so less if you send yours first, it will just take longer of course.
Installation is a peace of cake, but I paid some one 100$ never the less.
Problem solved for me.

Good luck
pinny
+1
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 12:58 PM
DREWSTER
IDK if you figured it out yet but I just had the same problem well it pissed me off so I started hitting my dash a couple time, right where the check engine light abs an so on it, an I tried it after an it started right back up, anybody have any idea what it could be the?
Saturday, January 14th, 2017 AT 8:33 AM
KEN
Hey DREWSTER,

This sounds like it could be a different problem with the same result, hitting the dash like the fonz could have been a fluke. I would check for spark and fuel pressure but first run the codes.

Here are a few guides that will help you find he problem

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Please run some tests and get back to us.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 AT 6:15 AM

Related Engine Not Starting Content

Engine Will Not Start
VIDEO