2007 Chrysler Sebring gear shift

BARLOWBABY
  • 2007 CHRYSLER SEBRING
My gear shift is stuck in park and will not move. We have tried to mess with the nuetral release but nothing. Any ideas?
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 1:53 PM

HMH1497
You can't take the console out while the shifter is stuck in park and you can't move the shifter without the console out. But, take the trim ring off around the shifter. Carefully lift it by hand, it pulls off. Look thru the crack on the left of the shifter. There's a pink plastic lever with a silver wire attached to it. Push this toward the rear of the car with a flat screwdriver while the car is running and your foot is on the brake pedal. The shifter will release from park. Leave it in neutral, turn the car off, block the wheels and then continue to remove the center console. My car had the spring broken off at the pink part. I found the small spring laying under the console and I drilled a hole thru the pink plastic lever because the hook busted off the pink lever. Bend the spring eyelet and thread it thru the hole you drill. Now, that's better than new. Any Chrysler engineers out there? Take some notes!
+2
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 5:11 PM
SIXBATHROOMS`
You bet your a$$ that fixed it. Knew is was something stupid. This car just 'feels' cheap. Would never buy another. POS!
Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 10:04 PM
SLB1483
Great but I think I need a mechanic to do it because I pushed the pink thing back, but it wont go all the way back, I dont have enough force. I tried but I think it needs a mans force. How much do you think a mechanic will charge to do that?

Also I pushed it as hard as I could too.
-1
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 7:16 AM
COWBOYS2012
I tried this but I had difficulty removing the center console. My car has the same problem but it is a 2008 Sebring convertible. What is the easiest way to remove the center console?
+1
Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 1:17 PM