2001 CHRYSLER SEBRING HEATER STOPS WORKING AT STOP LIGHTS

• CRD5819
  • 2001 Chrysler Sebring

Heater problem
2001 Chrysler Sebring V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

Sebring convertible heater stops working when stopped at stop lights or any other time car is stopped. Works mediocre at best when car is in motion at a highways speed.

What is the problem and fix? What should it cost?

Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 11:44 AM

• Zackman

First off, check your coolant level.

Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 8:39 PM
  • CRD5819

Since this si my girlfriend's car, that was my first thought as well. The coolant level was/is fine.

Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 7:36 AM
  • Zackman

Nest is (with that many miles), I would suggest thermostat replacement. I know that you said the coolant level is good, but how good/effective is your coolant? Is the mixture is 50/50 or do you have more water than coolant, or too much coolant and not enough water. Use an antifreeze tester to check the strength of your coolant. Something like this one.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_af1420_1.jpg

Another thing you may want to experiment, try switching between "fresh air" and "recirculate".

If the heater core is plugging up, you may not get enough heat either. The next thing is to perform antifreeze flush and refill, including the heater core.

Let us know.

Saturday, December 20th, 2008 AT 12:38 AM
  • CRD5819

Thanks so much for you input to the Chrysler Sebring not heating.

Next question is- is it difficult to get to the thermostat on the Sebring? I know on my experience with foreign cars (Mercedes and Mazdas) it has bee a snap.

Thanks.

Chuck

Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 1:43 PM
  • Zackman

What engine do you have? There are 4 different engines used in this vehicle. Look at your VIN, count from left to right. I need the 8th digit of the 17-digit number. It will be either X, G, U or H.

Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 9:04 PM