HEATER STOPS WORKING AT STOP LIGHTS

2001 Chrysler Sebring

CRD5819

December, 18, 2008 AT 11:44 AM

Heater problem
2001 Chrysler Sebring V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

Sebring convertible heater stops working when stopped at stop lights or any other time car is stopped. Works mediocre at best when car is in motion at a highways speed.

What is the problem and fix? What should it cost?

No Heat

Zackman

December, 18, 2008 AT 8:39 PM

First off, check your coolant level.

CRD5819

December, 19, 2008 AT 7:36 AM

Since this si my girlfriend's car, that was my first thought as well. The coolant level was/is fine.

Zackman

December, 20, 2008 AT 12:38 AM

Nest is (with that many miles), I would suggest thermostat replacement. I know that you said the coolant level is good, but how good/effective is your coolant? Is the mixture is 50/50 or do you have more water than coolant, or too much coolant and not enough water. Use an antifreeze tester to check the strength of your coolant. Something like this one.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_af1420_1.jpg

Another thing you may want to experiment, try switching between "fresh air" and "recirculate".

If the heater core is plugging up, you may not get enough heat either. The next thing is to perform antifreeze flush and refill, including the heater core.

Let us know.

CRD5819

December, 21, 2008 AT 1:43 PM

Thanks so much for you input to the Chrysler Sebring not heating.

Next question is- is it difficult to get to the thermostat on the Sebring? I know on my experience with foreign cars (Mercedes and Mazdas) it has bee a snap.

Thanks.

Chuck

Zackman

December, 22, 2008 AT 9:04 PM

What engine do you have? There are 4 different engines used in this vehicle. Look at your VIN, count from left to right. I need the 8th digit of the 17-digit number. It will be either X, G, U or H.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911