TUNE-UP PROBLEM

1996 Chrysler Sebring

chryslerchiq

March, 6, 2008 AT 6:19 PM

1996 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I had a tune-up done 2 weeks ago and now I have a missfire already. The car is missing when I drive it so I returned it to the place that did the tune-up. They said oil had leaked on the plugs so they put a valve cover on it. However they kept the plugs in there with the oil still on it. Was that dumb, should they have replaced them or at least got the oil off? I know nothing about cars and I really need help! Any advice please.

Timing/tuning Problem With A

Tuning

1 ANSWER

Service Writer

March, 6, 2008 AT 6:21 PM

Were wires done also?

Is it still with a miss?

BMRFIXIT

March, 6, 2008 AT 6:26 PM

Very common for the valves to be leaking oil
as for changing the plugs again there is no need for that
but the oil should be removed and cleaned
good luck

chryslerchiq

March, 7, 2008 AT 5:17 PM

Yeap I got new wires and plugs but the valve cover thing didn't work either, the car still drives as if it has a misfire. Some guy said I may need a distibutor cap & rotor, but I'm scared to drive it. If I continue to drive I think I may screw up other stuff on the car. I recently had a water pump put on along with a audio system, but that shouldn't make my car drive bad should it? I asked my husband but he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about : )

Service Writer

March, 7, 2008 AT 5:43 PM

When you originally took it in, did you ask them to diagnose the misfire? Or was the partial tune up in hopes of tixing it? Valve cover gasket will prevent the wires from going bad due to oil contamination, but will not solve a misfire.

Have this diagnised by some one (a shop) that is capable. &Quot; one guy says" is going to get expensive. Maybe it is a cap and rotor, but misfires can be caused from much more that tune up related problems. No one likes to pay for diagnosing, but it usually cheaper in the long run.