WHAT IS TDC FOR A CHRYSLER LEBARON 1993 3.0L

• zuglet
  • 1993 Chrysler

I just finished replacing the head gasket in my car and am having trouble getting the timing correct. I did mark the dist. When I pulled it but I ended up having to reset the timing belt. How do I get the thing set so I can start it and then refine the timing. Yes I do have a timing light, but that doesn't help if it won't start.

Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 10:04 AM

• Service Writer

Anyways, pull the number one plug out. Take a screwdriver with a long handle and measure how deep the piston is and mark the screw driver with elect tape or what ever. bump the starter, recheck and remark if it came up higher. Continue this until the piston drops. you should have a good idea of where the highest point is by the lowest point on the screwdriver. To fine tune it, you can manually spin the motor over with a socket and a breaker bar on the crank.

Once you have it there, check your rotor position.

The closest point to the tip of the screwdriver, yeilds the highest point of the piston.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_30961_tdc_1_1.jpg

Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 10:43 AM
  • zuglet

I'm trying to find out the position of the distributor. Like an idiot, I just marked the location of the dist. The motor wasn't at TDC when I marked it. I have no problem getting the engine to center, it's the distributor that I am having trouble with.

Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 11:26 AM
  • Service Writer

If you have the #1 cylinder at TDC, Then insert the distributor so that the rotor is pointing to to #1 cylinder clock position in relationship to the cap.

Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 5:35 PM
  • zuglet

Thanks. Brain cramp.

Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 7:38 PM
  • Service Writer

I have them on an hourly basis :lol:

Sunday, January 21st, 2007 AT 7:44 PM