2002 Chrysler Concorde Overheating engine when driving

JIM CARTWRIGHT
  • 2002 CHRYSLER CONCORDE
Concorde 2002, 3.5L, engine running excessively hot after 20 minutes of driving. Fine at an idle for 30 minutes of run time. Installed new radiator, new water pump, thermostat and new hoses. System bleed correctly so there is no trapped air. Fans have been tested and running at low and high speeds and coming on at correct temperature. No hydrocarbons in coolant, my mechanic does not know what else to check for. On or about the time this started to happen, air dam (2" black plastic trim under front bumper) was torn off. I've seen an on-line comment that this contributed to a similar problem. Could the loss of this change air flow through engine compartment and cause engine to hit higher temperatures?If not, any suggestions?
Sunday, October 17th, 2010 AT 7:39 AM

Yes, it helps deflect air flow. However, you mentioned it overheats when sitting in park.

You have replaced and double checked everything. The only things left is a timing issue and there still could be a head gasket leak even though it was checked. Have they done a compression test?
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 1:34 PM
JIM CARTWRIGHT
It does not overheat when parked and timing belts were replaced with the installation of the new water pump. I also had a new air dam installed and it still runs to hot. A compression has not been done. I can ask to have that done. The engine runs very smooth and has plenty of power. What else could it be?
+1
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM
This is a tough one. I have a couple more questions. First, and I know this may sound odd, was the thermostat replaced with a 195 F thermostat? I have seen situations where lower temp t-stat was used, opened fully when the engine was at 165 and the coolant circulated so fast, it never had time to cool in the radiator. The reason that popped into my mind is because your car does the opposite of what most do. It overheats when driving rather than sitting.

Next, when it overheats, does it ever boil over where coolant is coming from the overflow? I ask because you could have a bad temp sending unit and you are not seeing the correct temp from in the car. They actually make a thermometer to check coolant temp in the radiator.

Finally, when it is overheating, has anyone checked to make sure that both the lower and upper radiator hoses are not collapsed? I have delt with hoses that will pinch shut at higher RPM's causing an overheat situation.

Let me know.

Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 7:30 AM