CHEVY

2000 Chevrolet Truck

407daniel

May, 20, 2010 AT 5:14 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Chevy Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 2000 chevy c 2500 pickup series. About a month ago I did a major engine repair. Ever since then, the pickup has been working fine. Now the problem I am facing is that the engine is overheating. I replaced the water temperature sending unit thinking it could be the problem. But then I noticed that when I start the engine, it overheats really quick. I replaced the water pump, radiator cap, fan clutch, checked fan and fan belt, water thermostat and it is still overheating. I can feel the water return line that goes from the engine to the radiator bubbling and alot of pressure. I took the hose that connects to the water thermostat to see if it was stuck in the closed or open position but I couldn't tell. I put the thermostat back again and it continued overheating 240F. I decided to take out the water thermostat to see what happened and the temperature stays at 215 F. Please help me with this problem!

Jack42

May, 21, 2010 AT 8:15 AM

Is that a 5.7 liter engine? Im guessing the major engine repair was a blown head gasket? Those are thin-wall casting cylinder heads, they crack very easily. If you have removed the t-stat with a new w/pump and fan clutch and it still overheats, I would lean towards a cracked head or bad head gasket. You can try chemical testing the cooling system for the prescence of exhaust gasses to see if it comes out positive.

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet