I have fixed the problem and I would like to share the answer as this could help others avoid the time and confusion I have gone through trying to narrrow this down without dumping hundreds of dollars into it.
First I want to clarify the problems I listed in the original post. The radio being 1/2 lit originally was due to a blown bulb within the radio, so that was totally unrelated to the fuse problem.
Second, thanks to Amnorto's post in response to my post, I began to look for the relay in question. This is when I discovered that the Lumina Owner's Manual has an incorrect description of a fuse that turned out to be the problem fuse which led me to the solution I am about to describe. The fuse that controls the parking lamps is labeled correctly ON THE FUSE BOX (under the hood on the drivers side) but is MISLABELED :evil: (deliberately?) In the manual as "HEADLAMPS". That is why I missed it in the first place. Now the fix.
I then replaced the fuse, only to have it blow within a few minutes. So now the wires in question belong to the front and rear markers and the dash lights. This is when I realized that 1 year ago I had the front driver side marker light socket replaced during my annual NYS Inspection. So this is where I started to look first (I also kept the receipt and description of work done and this helped to cut time off of this).
So, I took the screw off of the lamp cover and took the socket out of the lamp housing AND THEN SAW ALL THE WATER THAT WAS IN THE HOUSING RUN OUT ONTO THE DRIVEWAY. The circuit was obviously shorting out as the water the wires to "cross" when the headlamps were turned on. The bulb was still in the socket with minimal corrosion (the buld and socket are one piece, unlike the headlamps) but was drenched. So I took a piece of kleenex and stuffed it into the lamp housing to absorb all the water out, then found the small crack in the housing where the bulb fits in an fixed that with super glue. I then pulled the passenger side housing to inspect that (which has never been replaced) and found that the bulb had a silicone sealant between the socket and the glass, obviously to protect it from water. IF THE GARAGE WHO FIXED THIS LAST YEAR WOULD HAVE APPLIED SEALANT TO IT, IT MAY HAVE PREVENTED THE PROBLEM, BUT THE POOR DESIGN WOULD PROBABLY HAVE CAUGHT UP WITH IT EVENTUALLY. So I went back to the driver's side took my wife's hairdryer (she was very helpful) and thouroughly dried the buld and socket and put a silicone sealant between the socket and edges of bulb. Then I put a new fuse in and tested before I reassembled and now it works fine. When I reassembled, I realized that the design of this bulb/socket/housing was very poor, as there is no rubber gasket to prevent water from entering the housing. So, I took some electric tape and wrapped the housing area where the bulb locks in (after I locked in the bulb) and wrapped it to at least try to protect this from happening again and put the housing in place. Now it is finally fixed and I can drive safely at night and avoid a possible traffic stop and fine by the Police. Hope this helps all you Lumina Owners! :D
Sunday, April 1st, 2007 AT 10:42 AM