1996 Chevy Truck replacement of booster

EDRUBINO
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I have a leak coming out of my hydraulic brake booster. I was going to replace it put I noticed that it connects to brake peddle. And it looks pretty hard to do. Is there a easy way or better way to fix.
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 10:36 PM

The brake booster shouldn't have any brake fluid in it. Your master cylender must be leaking from the rear and getting into it.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 11:45 PM
EDRUBINO
How do we remove and replace booster. Is there an easy way? I looked under dash and it looks like a pain. The clip going through the bake peddle is like nothing I have ever seen. Also it looks pretty hard to get to.
+1
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 11:50 PM
THere is no easy way. There are 4 bolts that hold it on to the firewall that you need to remove from under the dash (a tight fix). However, are you sure it is bad? Again, the booster doesn't hold hyd fluid. Therefore, it must be coming from the back of the master cylender and leaking into the booster. That is easier to replace than the booster. I'm just asking because I don't know if you know there is a different problem with the booster.
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 12:08 AM
EDRUBINO
We have replaced to master cylinder already. This booster it connected to the power steering unit. The booster works fine as far as power. It just leaks
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 8:42 AM
EDRUBINO
It loos like it is leaking at the connection tyo the master cyclinder
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 9:42 AM
That is what I thought. I didn't want to see you go through the trouble and expense of the booster. THere is a seal in the rear of the master cylender that can go bad and leak into the booster. I really think that is what is happening to yours. If you unbolt the MC from the booster, you will most likely see that the back of it is wet and it needs replaced. It is easier to replace and less expensive.

Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 8:53 PM