HAVE A 96 K3500 LIGHT DUTY WITH VERY ERATIC ...

1996 Chevrolet Truck

mooze

October, 21, 2012 AT 9:17 PM

Have a 96 k3500 light duty with very eratic power steering. It's okay when cold but when fluid warms up it seems to bind up then gets too much of a boost which makes it very hard to control and very dangerous. I have changed the steering box but it didn't help. I bought a steering fluid pressure regulator(Standard part #PSS12), but can't find where it goes. Truck has hydro boost. Any ideas? Thanks, mooze

October, 21, 2012 AT 10:02 PM

You should flush out the booster and the power steering pump first to see if you get any better response. In most cases, you may have to replace the booster and the power steering pump.

rivermikerat

October, 23, 2012 AT 12:26 PM

What color is the power steering fluid? With the engine off, open the reservoir and use a screwdriver to scrape the bottom of the reservoir. Does it come back sludgy? If so, drain and flush the system completely. IF there is too much power assist FEEL, have the alignment checked and tell them to pay special attention to caster.

Brake Booster Failed? Fix it Like a Pro
Replace Brake Booster
Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front