1995 Chevy Truck STARTING

WPHWILLI
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK
Replaced defective starter. Installed new starter and go to hook battery up and you can hear the cylinoid engaging and the truck tries to start, keys are not in the ignition. I was told it was the starter relay or the ignition switch. Where is the starter relay located. Thanks
Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 9:02 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Thanks for that info.

Here is diagram of your underhood fuse/relay panel. I have circled the Starter Relay for ease of view.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_0900c1528008f3bd_1.jpg

Hope this helped..
Thanks for using 2carpros.com!
+1
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 12:34 AM
WPHWILLI
When I pull the cover off my uderhood fuse/relay panel and look where you have circled it says AUX, FAN, RELAY on my box cover.
-1
Tuesday, December 9th, 2008 AT 9:10 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hmm, the Auxiliary Fan has a fuse in the center of the box. The outer corner relay circled should be the correct relay. You may also try checking your neutral safety switch relay. It seems like a lot of the '95 silverados had troulbe with this. It is mounted on drivers side of transmission, under the transmission gear shift linkage.
-2
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 12:28 AM
WPHWILLI
Well I found the problem. When I tightened the big spade terminal onto the starter it has a clip on the back which keeps the spade terminal from spinning when tightening. I did not land that clip in the slot on the starter right under the cylinoid and the terminal turned when I tightened it and the clip was barely touching the ground on the cylinoid so when I hooked up the battery it was as if the key was turned. I also spoke with the dealer and there is no starter relay for a 95 chevy silverado. Thanks for replying though. Later.
+4
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 8:42 PM