1999 Chevy Tahoe 1999 Tahoe cranks and starts up, then dies

DISGUY
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
1999 tahoe cranks and starts up, then dies. I have changed the fuel pump, spark plugs, mass air flow, fuel filter. Tested the fuel pressure and it is good. Also, tested spark. It was a bit weak, but sparking. Any suggestions why it would start up then then stall imediately?
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 1:04 PM

Welcome to the forum. My first thought was the theft system? Is the theft/security lite on or flashing, anything? Can you check codes?
+4
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 1:30 PM
DISGUY
I checked for codes, but none popped. The security light would flash as I start it, but then disappears arfter it starts, then dies. Also, the igition is still on the "on" position with no security light. Im not sure if the security light should keep flashing. Flustered.
-2
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 3:10 PM
I understand your frustration. If it was the security system, the lite should have stayed on or flashing, plus codes. Does it die without putting it in gear? Without something to point us in some direction? I know you checked fuel pressure, was it the same, key on engine off, running, after it died, did pressure hold? Just another thought, check the crank sensor wiring circuit?
+2
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 4:15 PM
DISGUY
Yes.I justcame back from iraq and it wont start. But yes, I would start it, run for a few seconds then die with no time to get it in drive. As for the fuel pressure, when I crank it, pressure builds to. I want to say 65 and it holds. My neighbor helped me out reading it. He's honda tech, but not familiar with chevys. We also checked the egr. It had some carbon built up and again not sure if that would affect it starting.
-1
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 5:11 PM
If the egr opens at idle, it will kill it.
+3
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 9:29 PM