No sound from radio

KMULLEN
  • CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My 2004 Suburban radio turns on all the dials work including the volume, but I cannot hear anything. It was working when I was in the car and I came home for a few minutes got back in and guess what no sound can I get radio wiring diagrams. Any ideas?
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 8:37 PM

DENNYP
It sounds like you have an amplifier or head unit (radio) that has gone out. Here is a guide for you to check the power and ground of the amp. If it checks out then the radio is bad.

Here is a guide and some wiring diagram (below) so you can do some testing:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

(The wiring diagrams are below)

Here is a bulletin from the factory I found:

Subject: Diagnostic for no sound from speakers but radio display is operative. keywords amp amplifier audio inoperative mute off on speaker voltage volume.

Models: 2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2004-2007 Hummer H2

With UQ7 without Y91

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
This information is in addition to the normal no audio diagnostics which includes checking for shorted speakers or speaker wires.

Recommendation/Instructions:
For complaints of no audio from vehicle equipped with a non-class 2 amplifier, perform the following checks to determine if it is a radio or an amp issue. Do these checks with vehicle running, radio on and amp plugged in.

Check for audio at the Rear Seat Audio controls through the head phones. If there is, then the radio is producing audio.

Check pin B3 (switched 12 volts) for 12 volts. This is a radio output that tells the amp to turn on. It should show 12 volts, if it does not, and then radio B3 pin output is not operating properly. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.

Check pin B6 (amp mute) for 0 volts to 5 volt. If the voltage is between 0 and 1 volt this tells the amp to mute and play. If it shows between 3 and 5 volts this tells the amp to mute and stop playing. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.

If the above steps indicate that the system should be playing then check for power and grounds to the amplifier and if okay, replace the amplifier.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers
+5
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 9:58 PM
WAYNO
I checked out the wiring diagrams and found the amp is getting power and has a good ground so I think it is good.

I used the balance and fader controls to single out each speaker. Could be a short in one of the speaker wires.

Usually when this happens you will just get a static distorted sound but with these newer factory stereos there could be an internal breaker that shuts off the speaker output when a short is detected. May not be the case but it could not hurt to check it out.
+11
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 10:10 PM
LARRYLODEN
I am having this issue. Non of my speakers work and my head phone plugs in the back do not work, not even with the DVD player playing. DVD player plays but get no sound. I checked the radio and hooked a separate speaker to it and it is working. I got an aftermarket CD player and now it is working great.

I got this one from Amazon for $118.00 and bam all fixed. Was not that bad to install either make sure you get the right adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S55GWK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B004S55GWK&linkId=21f28d44924c52596c4beb287ed942d9

Sunday, January 26th, 2014 AT 6:54 PM
KEN
Check the fuse in the under hood fuse panel. If that is okay these radios have a problem with the internal amplifier going out which will cause the problem you are describing. You must replace the radio to fix it.

On some models they have a speaker reply but for yours it does not seem to have it.
Sunday, April 10th, 2016 AT 6:25 PM
SHOCK1999
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
When you first turn it on it has sound for a few seconds then nothing. What could be the problem?
+1
Friday, December 23rd, 2016 AT 12:00 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Sounds as if the problem is in the radio itself. I would remove and first check to see if the power supply is dropping out first.
Unfortunately, you are tied to the dealer for radio problems. In an effort to increase profits at their customers' expense, they stopped allowing us to buy radio service manuals after 1994. You have to go through the dealer and one of their two grossly over-priced repair centers.
Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 AT 9:57 AM (Merged)
JULIA COUNTRYMAN
I am having the same problem as the OP--headphone jacks are working fine, display is fine. If I read the bulletin posted above, this indicates that the amplifier is the cause?
+1
Friday, August 31st, 2018 AT 10:42 AM
KEN
Yes, the amplifier went out causing the issue. Make sure the unit is getting power and ground to confirm the failure by using the wiring diagrams from above. Here is the location.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+4
Friday, August 31st, 2018 AT 12:34 PM
BSINNED29
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Is there a link somewhere for a schematic of color code wire diagram for factory radio wires in dash?
Saturday, February 23rd, 2019 AT 4:58 PM (Merged)
This is for base radio, Hope you can read it.
BMORRIS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban K1500. The speakers just stopped making sounds (AM, FM, XM, CD, Onstar) while driving on the interstate. All lighted indicators, channel displays and onstar "phone" displays are still working. Although no sound comes from the speakers, if I plug a headset into the rear cabin console I can hear the sound.
I checked the amplifier, radio and several other affiliated fuses and they appear OK. (Three months ago the local dealer replaced passenger side airconditioning system and had to remove/ reinstall the dash but the same mechanics indicate that should not have contributed to the problem) Looking for a recommended troubleshooting manual that covers this area or advice from someone who has had the problem. Thank you

BWM
Saturday, February 23rd, 2019 AT 5:00 PM (Merged)
DR LOOT
Remove the radio and make sure all the plugs are securely fastened
JMIKETMG
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Do you have the wiring schematic for the radio amplifier I changed the radio to after market and connected the new harness adapter but it still doesn't work and I need to bypass the original amplifier.
Saturday, March 30th, 2019 AT 7:58 AM (Merged)
Here you go. Thanks for using 2Carpros. Com

Let us know if you need anything else
-1
CARMENTAL
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
1999 Suburban LT1500. The radio will lose sound every once-and-a-while if I go over a small bump, and then it will return the next time I hit a bump. The radio remains on, buttons work, display is lit, everything seems Ok other than "no sound". The 'burban has the original Delco stereo with the remote CD player located beneath it in the dash.

From what I've read these systems have an amp that drives the rear speakers, and that the front-two door speakers work directly off of the radio. Of course, you can't trust everything you read on the internet (present company excepted).

I've also read some online content that indicates the amp has a cut-out feature that kicks in if there is a short in one of the speaker wires. So. Finally my question:

Does this sound like a speaker wire short issue? Or an issue with the radio itself?

I hate to pull the door panels off to test the speaker wires if the issue is either with the radio or the amp. I'd consider replacing the radio with another factory type but hate to spend those dollars if the issue is with the amp or the wiring. Any suggestions for my first course of action?
+1
BIGZ
I have a 98 suburban I did not know there was stock amps? Where are they located at in the truck.
I installed a new JVC stereo and ran all new wires and speakers.
+2
CARMENTAL
I can only attest to the stock amp being there based upon other forum threads. If I stick my noggin' under the dash I can see the radio wire harness splitting off at a little steel box located to the right of the steering column, from what I've read that is the amp. Be careful, there's also a little finned aluminum box under there in the same area, I believe thats a rectifier the power outlets.
-2
BIGZ
Ya I saw that thing there, I had no ideal what it was.I know one thing, there is a lot of stuff under that dashboard.I was yanking out the old cellphone crap out of there to. Thanks for the info.
BOBHARMS
I am having the same problem as carmental with my 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 -- the radio sound cuts out when I go over a bump. I thought it was the factory radio and replaced it with a JVC aftermarket radio. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem -- in fact, the experience is worse because the JVC radio is not as forgiving as the factory radio was (it has to be reset each time it cuts out). Bottom line is that I eliminated the radio as being the issue and do not know where to look next. When it works, all speakers work fine -- I hit a bump and all speakers stop working -- no static or anything before dead silence. Could the factory amp be the issue? I see it and check the wire harnesses -- all seems secure. Above the silver factory amp box is another smaller metal box that has a wire harness that connects to the amp -- all wires harnesses appear secure. Any assistance in helping me resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
+3