No sound from radio

KMULLEN
  • CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

My 2004 Suburban radio turns on all the dials work including the volume, but I cannot hear anything. It was working when I was in the car and I came home for a few minutes got back in and guess what no sound. Any ideas?

Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 8:37 PM

DENNYP

It sounds like you have an amplifier or head unit (radio) that has gone out. Here is a guide for you to check the power and ground of the amp. If it checks out then the radio is bad.

Here is a guide and some wiring diagram (below) so you can do some testing.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

(The wiring diagrams are below)

Here is a bulletin from the factory I found:

Subject: Diagnostic for no sound from speakers but radio display is operative. keywords amp amplifier audio inoperative mute off on speaker voltage volume.

Models: 2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2004-2007 Hummer H2

With UQ7 without Y91

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
This information is in addition to the normal no audio diagnostics which includes checking for shorted speakers or speaker wires.

Recommendation/Instructions:
For complaints of no audio from vehicle equipped with a non-class 2 amplifier, perform the following checks to determine if it is a radio or an amp issue. Do these checks with vehicle running, radio on and amp plugged in.

Check for audio at the Rear Seat Audio controls through the head phones. If there is, then the radio is producing audio.

Check pin B3 (switched 12volts) for 12 volts. This is a radio output that tells the amp to turn on. It should show 12 volts, if it does not, and then radio B3 pin output is not operating properly. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.

Check pin B6 (amp mute) for 0 volts to 5 volt. If the voltage is between 0 and 1 volt this tells the amp to mute and play. If it shows between 3 and 5 volts this tells the amp to mute and stop playing. This could be caused if the radio is not programmed correctly or a circuit concern.

If the above steps indicate that the system should be playing then check for power and grounds to the amplifier and if okay, replace the amplifier.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers

+1
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 9:58 PM
WAYNO

I checked out the wiring diagrams and found the amp is getting power and has a good ground so I think it is good.

I used the balance and fader controls to single out each speaker. Could be a short in one of the speaker wires.

Usually when this happens you will just get a static distorted sound but with these newer factory stereos there could be an internal breaker that shuts off the speaker output when a short is detected. May not be the case but it could not hurt to check it out.

+10
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 10:10 PM
LARRYLODEN

I am having this issue. Non of my speakers work and my head phone plugs in the back do not work, not even with the DVD player playing. DVD player plays but get no sound. I checked the radio and hooked a separate speaker to it and it is working. I got an aftermarket CD player and now it is working great.

I got this one from Amazon for $118.00 and bam all fixed. Was not that bad to install either make sure you get the right adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S55GWK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B004S55GWK&linkId=21f28d44924c52596c4beb287ed942d9

Sunday, January 26th, 2014 AT 6:54 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Check the fuse in the under hood fuse panel. If that is okay these radios have a problem with the internal amplifier going out which will cause the problem you are describing. You must replace the radio to fix it.

On some models they have a speaker reply but for yours it does not seem to have it.

Sunday, April 10th, 2016 AT 6:25 PM
SHOCK1999
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

When you first turn it on it has sound for a few seconds then nothing. What could be the problem?

Friday, December 23rd, 2016 AT 12:00 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS

Sounds as if the problem is in the radio itself. I would remove and first check to see if the power supply is dropping out first.

Unfortunately you are tied to the dealer for radio problems. In an effort to increase profits at their customers' expense, they stopped allowing us to buy radio service manuals after 1994. You have to go through the dealer and one of their two grossly over-priced repair centers.

+1
Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 AT 9:57 AM (Merged)