1997 Chevy Suburban Lack of Speedo and Tech, not shifting g

DANGELOFLHR
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My Service Engine Soon light came on and at the same time I observed that neither my speedometer or tech were working. When I shifted from Park to Drive, I noticed that my PND indicator was not eluminated, then as I began to excellerate I noticed the car was very sluggish as if I were not in first gear. I then manually shuifted to 1st and the car excellerated normally. After excellerating up in speed I moved the shifter to 2nd with no change in gearing, then to Drive (3rd) and felt a transmission shift, then into O-drive with no change in transmission shift (did not move into overdrive). I checked the associated PND fuse which was fine, then search for any other potential bad fuse but could not find anything. Your assistance and advised is greatly appreciated.

Don
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 10:43 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Maybe the speed sensor is faulty go to an Auto Zone and have codes read then post will advise.
-1
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 11:17 AM
DANGELOFLHR
Auto Zone no longer provides this service stating new state laws prohibit unless your certified. I then went ahead and changed the speed sensor (the until at the end of the transmission). Because I do not have equipment to clear the error, I disconnected the battery for about 45 minutes hoping this would clear the error. I then attached the battery but the error (service engine soor)remains and when I test drove the car the same issues remain (no speed-o, no tech, no PRDNL indicator, does not shift gears in auto).

Your next thought please
+1
Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 11:21 AM
DOCFIXIT
Without codes going to next to impossible to find fault. What you pay a shop to code will be saved in usless parts replacement. Maybe a community collage with Auto Tech would do it for you.
Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 4:26 PM
DANGELOFLHR
OK, got all the codes

P0141, B152, P0700-Trans, PO753 1-2 Shift, P1860-TCC, P007582-3 Shift, P0785 3-2 Shifts, P0141-0-2 Sensor

Obsiously the O2 sensor has issues. And trans errors have occured. What continues to confuse me is why the Tach is not working. It measures motor RPM. I can understand if there is an issue related to the Tach therefore effecting transmission, but Chevy, where I paid for the codes to be read, whats to taredown transmission and inspect. Your help and advise is grately appreciated.

Don
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 12:15 PM
DOCFIXIT
Check Trans fuse # 20 in I/P fuse box and yes I agree with Chevy need to pull pan and check those solenoids.
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 3:04 PM
YAHOO4
More than likly your ignition switch is not powering up the trans and thats why you have so many trans codes, these years of gm trucks have this common problems, replace your ignition switch and have the codes cleared, you will have the same symtoms until the codes are cleared after you replace your ignition switch. Good luck!
+1
Thursday, April 29th, 2010 AT 7:28 PM
DANGELOFLHR
Good news, the resolution was the key switch assembly. Had replaced and SOS message, tach, speedo and transmission all work correctly.

Thanks for the help. Although I was not able to fix the problem myself, the value- add you provided was solid info which prevented me from getting ripped off by the local chevy dealer, who insisted they had to tear down and inspect my transmission for $600.00 with no assurance it would fix the problem.
+2
Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 1:38 PM