1994 Chevy Suburban, 3/4 ton, 6.5, diesel, k2500 start hard

DANAG1
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
I have a chevy suburban, 1994, 3/4 ton, 2500 K 6.5 turbo diesel about 120,000 which, for some reason begin to start harder and harder day by day. Any suggestions? Also, every year need to replace the alternator because "burn" it out. If touch, it is very hot. Thanks!
Thursday, October 25th, 2007 AT 9:41 PM

DENNYP
Does the wait to start lamp inthe dash come on when you turn on the key?
+1
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 8:45 PM
DANAG1
I am assuming you ask about the plug light? Yes, it came on and I wait till that turn off because if I won't do that, can't start the car.
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 9:19 PM
DANAG1
And. It is normal that the alternaton to be hot as barely can be touched? The original one have 105amp, if I put one with high amp?(If such a thing exist and fit the car?) It would help in not burning out and not being so hot?
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 9:24 PM
DENNYP
I dont think the alternator is part of your problem. You should test the glow plugs. You can do this by disconnecting the glow plug connectors, hook up a test light to battery positive terminal, then touch the end of the test light to the glow plug terminal. If the test light illuminates, the glow plug is good.2 or 3 bad glow plugs could cause this problem.
Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 9:52 PM
DANAG1
Thanks for the answer! I don't think the alternator is the problem either on hard starting issue, but. How normal is to feel that hot and how normal is to change an alternator every year?
Tuesday, November 6th, 2007 AT 6:06 AM
DENNYP
It will get hot. As far as replacing it every year, it could be the quality of remanufactured part you are getting. You could try a different brand.
Tuesday, November 6th, 2007 AT 7:00 AM
DANAG1
Any suggestion on good brand alternator? Can I try more amps compared with 105amp as the original one have? Well.I have also a chevy caprice and the alternator is warm when touched, on the suburban is absolutely hot and like I said, I wonder if that is normal. Regarding the hard start. The only time when start with little ease if when the engine is stil warm. If cools down. Like if start in the morning, drive for a while, stop like around 11am and start the car again around2pm. Start hard, like wasn't started in days. Thank you for the ideas and suggestions!
Tuesday, November 6th, 2007 AT 8:07 PM
DENNYP
I have had good luck with AC Delco and Duralast alternators.I, would however, recommend having your alternator tested berfore any unnecesary replacement.
Tuesday, November 6th, 2007 AT 8:49 PM
DANAG1
Thank you for the suggestions! I hope I will make the car start easier, or, the way it suppose to start. I will poste updates when I will have something new. I know is an old car but. It is safe to drive such cars and I am gonna keep it! :)
Wednesday, November 7th, 2007 AT 6:09 AM