2009 Chevy Silverado OIL CHANGE GONE WRONG?

SILVERADOCHEVY
  • 2009 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I'm changing the oil in my 2009 Chevy Silverado. I thought that I successfully located the Oil Filter and removed and then took loose what I thought was the Oil Plug, A grey oil came out. Not black? Is this a synthetic oil or did I remove the plug for the transfer case or some kind of other fluid. The plug was located towards the drivers side and close to the fron axle. This is a 5.3L V8 Z71 2009 Chevy Silverado. Does anyone know what fluid I might need to replace and how?
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 10:59 PM

FACTORYJACK
Was this plug in the front of the frame crossmember, and is there a larger plug almost directly above it? It sounds like you removed the front axle drain plug. The fluid that is required in that is synthetic, the GM # is 89021677. It is 75w-90 synthetic, and you may be able to find equivalent brand like castrol or valvoline.
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 11:08 PM
SILVERADOCHEVY
Yes, it was attached to some kind of a transfer case, and close to the Drivers Side Axle. Thanks for the input. When I noticed it did not look like Oil I immediately screwed the plug back in, It wasn't a lot and it definately sits on top of the oil that I had drained from the oil filter. SO where is the Engine Oil Plug?
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 11:20 PM
SILVERADOCHEVY
Also, should I risk driving the truck and if I purchase the correct synthetic fluid, where do you fill this transfer case at?
Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 11:23 PM
FACTORYJACK
It should be fine to drive as you need it, as long as sustained highway speeds is not involved. The fill plug should be a larger one above the one you removed. The oil pan drain plug is at the rear of the frame, on the passenger side of the pan.
Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 5:30 PM
SILVERADOCHEVY
Thank you for your help. Your expertise has helped a lot. I tried to check to make sure that I had not over drained the Front Axle Gear Oil but I could not get the fill plug loose. If the truck had the parking brake would that make this possible or should the fill plug come loose?
Sunday, March 14th, 2010 AT 2:46 PM
FACTORYJACK
There should be no influence a parking brake is going to have, in the fill plug removal. It makes me believe that you may be after the wrong thing. The fill plug should be almost level with the drivers side front axle stub shaft, and forward of it. It should be about the diameter of a silver dollar, with a 15mm hex type head. The disclaimer is, I work in a Cadillac service department, and that is the configuration of late model Escalades, which are K trucks with different trim. I am assuming it is the same, at least 95% sure.
Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 10:10 PM