2003 Chevy Silverado rough idle

MATT M5
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Recently I had a battery malfunction on the auxilary battery of my dual battery system. I had to jump the battery to start, after replacing the battery the idle was rough in gear only. I cleaned the fuel system & changed the fuel filter & the spark plugs. I also cleaned all of the cables & terminals of the batteries but still have the problem of rough idle in gear. Batteries are holding their charge. PLEASE HELP!
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 7:20 PM

FISHERMAN
Hello !

Vehicles equipped with an engine control module, may require a computer relearn procedure after vehicle battery is disconnected. Vehicle computers memorize and store vehicle operation patterns for optimum driveability and performance. When the vehicle battery is disconnected, this memory is lost, which may result in a driveability problem. Depending on the vehicle and how it is equipped, the following driveability problems may exist:
Rough or unstable idle.
Hesitation or stumble.
Rich or lean running.
Poor fuel mileage.
Harsh or poor transmission/transaxle shift quality.
Default data is used until NEW data from each key start is stored. As the computer restores its memory from each new key start, driveability is restored.
Driveability problems may occur during the computer relearn stage. To accelerate computer relearn process after battery removal and installation, specified computer relearn procedures should be performed. See appropriate procedures for specified manufacturer.

Good Luck!
+1
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 10:45 PM