ROUGH IDLE.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

mcabee.duck

February, 7, 2011 AT 6:11 PM

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 2wd. Has a rough idle and "Service engine soon" light. AutoZone gave me the following codes: "P0131" and "P0300." I have changed the plugs and wires, what's going on?

Also, there is a squeak that sounds like a belt when I first start the truck and sometimes continues, and sometimes doesn't (may or may not be related).

Also, the heat in the truck is not as hot as it used to be (once again, may or may not be related).

February, 7, 2011 AT 7:01 PM

The p0131 is 02 sensor, bank one. I can't say the sensor is faulty. I'd have to start by checking the wiring circuit.

P0300 is a random misfire, how long since a tune-up. Check the note below'

February, 7, 2011 AT 7:04 PM

As far as the heat issue, does the engine reach normal operating temp? Are the heater hoses hot? If you live in an area that is extremely cold, you may need to use a block heater.

mcabee.duck

February, 7, 2011 AT 7:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Tune-up was done approx 1,000 miles ago. However, fuel filter has never been replaced. Would the o2 sensor code be caused by the random misfire (or vice versa)?

February, 7, 2011 AT 7:23 PM

The random misfire may have caused the other code.

mcabee.duck

February, 7, 2011 AT 7:26 PM

Ok, so what should I do to check the random misfire on random cylinders?

mcabee.duck

February, 7, 2011 AT 7:52 PM

Also, I believe the heat issue is related to a low coolant level. Thanks

February, 7, 2011 AT 8:10 PM

Below is the flow chart for p0300.

February, 7, 2011 AT 10:06 PM

I did see a couple of tsbs for that code. The possibilities are just about endless. One tsb was for a problem computer ground, G103 I believe. You take the ground loose, check the wiring, use a file or something and shine-up the contact surfaces. G103 is located, right rear of engine block. The other tsb was for water getting into the fuel system, caused by the evap harness, vacuum lines.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8