2003 Chevy Silverado No Oil put in when oil change was done

MOTORCYCLECINDY
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Dropped my Truck off to have the oil changed and check the oil pressure gauge. Sending unit had been replaced but was again not working properly. Was told to return when the gauge was messing up again so they could hook truck up to computer and see if there was a code/problem.
Payed my bill and drove off. Made it about a mile when the truck died. I tried to crank it again and it sounded like it my key was stuck in the crank position. Tried it again, same thing. Checked the oil, and it was dry. No oil.
Called the oil place and told them. They came and met me with 5 quarts of oil. Told me the truck had a built in shut off incase it ever had no oil in it. They added oil then wanted to take it back to shop and check it out. The mechanic lived near me and he wanted to keep it and drive it home to make sure it was ok. I was not at the shop when he took it back to see if it was ok.
He brought the truck to me. Said it seemed to be fine.
I suppose if the oil pressure gauge had been working it would have stopped me from driving it at all. And also I guess the person who changed the oil would not have been able to drive it out of the bay and park it out front for me. But the bottom line is, I and he both drove it with no oil in it.
At this time the only thing I notice different is when it cranks up, it runs ruff. Like the idle is off. I pull a boat and trailer and have not had the chance ot see if performance has been effected. My mechanic friends tell me to go to the oil change place and tell them I need a new motor. That I may not have damage showing up now, but it will later. What is your advice? Thank you.
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 7:44 PM

JNOVACK
I agree with your friends take it back and have new engine put in but I would also say have another shop do the work and charge the one that messed up your truck the damage may not be showing now but you don't want it to while pulling the boat makes for not so fun time on lake
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 8:12 PM
MOTORCYCLECINDY
OK, I sent a response to your answer but because I have AOL and your site must not like that. Im not sure if it went through to you. No response back. So here is my question again:

I was hoping for a little technical information in your reply. Any test I can have done to see if there is any damage to motor? Would checkin the compression help? Is there such a thing as a "kill swithch" to turn truck off before damage happens to motor? I have not approached the Mechanic Shop yet about my truck and really dont know how. Short of saying, "You changed my oil, forgot to put oil in, I drove it and it died. Dont know if its messed up, but I want a new motor!" Thanks.
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 2:35 PM
JNOVACK
First of all there is no shut off on your truck they will run till engine get hot enough to cause as you see on TV friction damage that is score the piston walls and cause bearing damage it may not be showing damage now but the damage is done there is no fixing that without rebuilding motor and as you said it ran till engine stoped well in other words the engine siezed and when it cooled it freed it's self but as I say the damage is already done they need to replace your engine with new one not junkyard like most shops try to get away with
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 7:36 PM