2002 Chevy Silverado 2002 Chevy Silvarado Fuel Pump issues

MDFIELDS21
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2002 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 168K miles

My truck just randomly died on me in the middle of the road and wouldn't start back immediately. After sitting for about an hour it started up and made it about 3 miles before I was getting a lot of jerking from the engine not getting fuel. It got towed home and sat there for a day. I started it up and it was running rough for a little bit then started running fine. I took the gas cap off and listened to the pump and it sounded like gargling. I suspected maybe that the gas guage broke and I was outta fuel. I put 5 gallons in it and now it runs fine with just a drive up and down the street. The fuel pump is still making that gargling sound instead of the purge sound right before start up. Will the fuel pump roughly work for this long before completely going out? Or is it a possible gas guage issue.
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 10:09 AM

DANAUTHIER
Yes, the fuel pump may be the issue. The fuel pump and level sending units are replaced as a single componet.
Before replacing your fuel module asmebly check your fuel pressure. If you have a 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L or 8.1L your fuell pressure should be 55 - 62 psi with the key on - engine off. If you have a 5.0L or 5.7L the key on - engine off pressure should be 60 - 66 psi. With the gage still attached the pressure should only drop about 5 pounds or so once the key is shut off. If the pressure contiinues to bleed off, check for leaks in the gage, gage connection or fuel lines. IF no external leaks are found, the fuel pressure is bleeding back though the pump and is a symptom of a failing fuel pump.
The noise from the fuel pump also indicates that it may be failing, but some GM fuel pumps can be very nioisey.
Adding fuel when the tank is almost empty may temporarily improve the pump performance. With in the tank pumps the fuel lubricates and cools the pump. If the pump is failing it will heat up, adding the fuel would help cool thepump and make it work a little better for a short time.
All that said, first check fuel pressure to be sure it is correct and holding the presssure.
Let me know what you find and I'll do my best to help.
Dan
+4
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 10:44 AM
QUAGMIRE86
Yes, check the fuel pressure with a guage. When was the last time your fuel filter had been changed? Also, pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and determine if there is fuel in the vacuum line, if so, the diaphram is bad (in the regulator) and needs to be replaced.
+3
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 7:14 PM