Starts then it shuts off

SCAR_FACE3480
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
V8 four wheel drive automatic 200, 00 miles.

Hello, I took the air filter off the engine to look in the butterfly valve and there is no fuel in it at all. I turn the key to the on position and I can hear the noise for the gas tank running but it will turn on for a second then quickly shut off. Inside the butterfly valve I can see a little flame but no fuel please help.
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 12:28 PM

If the vehicle starts then shuts off, one thought is the security system, pass-lock, fuel disable?
+6
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 12:59 PM
SCAR_FACE3480
Like I said in the top of the engine the butterfly valve inside there is no fuel at all. How would I know if it is the security system?
+2
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 1:08 PM
SCAR_FACE3480
How do I find out if it is the security system, pass-lock, and how can I fix this problem? I appreciate the help!
+3
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 1:14 PM
Is the security light on the dash on or flashing? Also, other than TBI, you see cannot see much, by looking past the throttle valve. Check for any applicable codes.

If it is the security system, when it shuts off, leave the key on, watch the light. The light may go off after ten minutes, then turn the key off for ten seconds. Repeat the procedure twice more about thirty minutes. The next time you cycle the key, if the relearn works, it should start. If it is the security system.
+6
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 1:31 PM
SCAR_FACE3480
Hey I just want to say thank you for the help! I am so frustrated called Autozone and they told me a whole bunch of things can be wrong. Hopefully it is just the security system!
+2
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 2:13 PM
I understand. Hope you get it going your way.
+1
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 2:24 PM
SCAR_FACE3480
How do I get trouble codes without towing it in to have it checked?
+2
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 2:27 PM
At the least, you would need an obd2 code reader. The security system is just a possibility.
+1
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 9:50 AM
SCAR_FACE3480
I do not know what happened but it works now! But know I have to move my attention to the check engine light which it was read yesterday and the code is P1345 camshaft to crankshaft position correlation fault.
+1
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 1:49 PM
Is the vehicle running now? Good job.
-1
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 1:09 PM