Turn signal lights not working

RJRJR
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Rear brake and turn signal lights inop. Replaced bulbs, bulb receptacle. Fuses look good and have good ground in wire plug assembly.
Friday, May 22nd, 2009 AT 11:43 AM

IAMI2760
Check the brake switch located on a rod under the dash attached to the brake pedal. I've had to replace three of them on my 98 Silverado. If you have the towing package installed, disconnect the trailer pig tail and just reconnect your rear lights without the pig tail. I've had to that also.
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 5:37 PM
VTOWNER
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1997 chevy silverado 4x4 5.7l. Passenger side signal not working, I turn on dash and headlights neither rear signal lights work, I check the wiring harnesses and disconnected trailer wiring found nothing wrong there.I had gm look at it recently, had no help there. I checked a few diagrams I could find and it seems to point to switching system in steering column but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 AT 10:14 AM (Merged)
Are you doing this yourself now?

Do you have simple test equipment. Voltmeter. Test light. Know how, as far as running continuity tests and such?

If it comes down to purchasing this over priced hunk of plastic, I can clue you in on saving $$$ on it. Just ask. This overlooked asset works at all kinds of places

i found you a diagram in "mitchell"

this one is for "exterior lamps". Looks like it shows what you are interested in

there are many more for the rest of the wiring, it is not feasible to get 'em all for you (mitchell sorta wants you [and me] to subscribe to their system, they are not a non-profit organization!)

without broadcasting your email address in open forum, if you cannot see this diagram well. Tell me.I will initiate a way to get it to you. Mitchell diagrams are "crisp" in my downloads, they are so ez to understand. Depending on size and content, they may show up great. Then again, could be a blur, once I load it into my answer

the medic
VTOWNER
I have the same drawing and I did check everything with a voltmeter, discovered a new problem with driver front light too, its being looked at again by GM at the moment. Everything points to the switch in steering column malfunctioning intermittently from conversation with mechanic so there looking into for me if parts are needed
LAVELL
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Wiring truck to old bed and lights hooked taillight wire wrong and blew 30 amp fuse. Replaced fuse and now only parking light and brake light, no blinkers disconnected all lights at wire harness, still no blinkers, what am I missing?
Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 AT 10:15 AM (Merged)
It may be a quite a few things, check ground at left hand rear of frame. It may be the circuit board on back of frame or turn signal switch etc. See pictures and check fuse and wires for power.
MALLUMS
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Does this vehicle have a turn signal relay and if so, where is its general location?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Turn signal flasher relay is on the convenience center (under left side of dash). If flasher relay is good check fuses.
-1
SUSIE1961
  • 1991 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1991 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive

blinkers do not work, everytime I put a new fuss in it blows. I bought a new blinker switch but do not know how to replace the old one, not sure it is even this problem
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello and thanks for donating!

Before replacing switch, I would replace the flasher relay. It may be shorting out causing fuse to blow. If flasher is OK then check wiring to switch. If OK here as well then follow steps below to replace switch.

Make sure the switch is in the off position.
Remove the steering wheel
Remove the instrument panel trim cover.
Insert a screwdriver into the lockplate cover slot and pry out the cover. Remove the lockplate. A special tool is available to do this. The tool is an inverted U-shape, with a hole for the shaft. The shaft nut is used to force it down. Pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove. Discard the snapring.
Remove the tool and lift the lockplate off the shaft.
Remove the turn signal lever screw and lever.
Press the hazard button inward and unscrew it.
Remove the switch retaining screws. Pull the switch connector out of the mast jacket and feed the switch connector through the column support bracket.
Position the turn signal lever and shifter housing in the downward, or "low" position and pull downward on the lower end of the column using a pliers on the tab provided. Remove the wire protector.
Remove the switch mounting screws. Remove the switch by pulling it straight up while guiding the wiring harness cover through the column.

To install:

Install the replacement switch by working the connector and cover down through the housing and under the bracket.
Install the switch mounting screws and the connector on the mast jacket bracket. Install the column-to-dash trim plate.
Install the flasher knob and the turn signal lever.
With the turn signal lever in neutral and the flasher knob out, slide the thrust washer, upper bearing preload spring, and canceling cam into the shaft.
Position the lockplate on the shaft and press it down until a new snapring can be inserted in the shaft groove.
Install the cover and the steering wheel.
POOLE09
  • 1991 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I just picked up a 1991 K1500 for snowplowing. I noticed that the when I flip the turn signal up, like when I'm making a right turn, the lever appears to be in the center position. When I flip it down for a left turn, it will not stay down, and I can hear the flasher working but no left turn signal. Any suggestions where to start?
INTERNETMECHANIC
I'd probably replace the multifunction switch, for a start. With it apart, you can probably use a jumper wire for the proper terminals and make them turn signals dance, just for testing, before you put everything back together.
POOLE09
Well, that's what I thought, but this does not have a multifunction switch. I just finished pulling the steering wheel and replacing the turn signal switch, but same problem.
INTERNETMECHANIC
Sorry about that, I should have looked at the wiring diagram first. All I can do is check the bulb socket for voltage and ground, backtrack the circuit. The ground is black. The color for the voltage wire is in the diagram. Sometimes I use a testlite in the bulb socket, bulb removed, to check for voltage and ground.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/512072_k1500_turn_switch_1.jpg

DKJTEX
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Just bought a 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton 4wd, and the tail, stop, and turn signals don't work. No brake lights, no tail lights, and no left turn. When I turn on the right turn, it flashes but, very, very dim, to the point that you can't even see it through the red lense cover. And, at the same time that the right turn is flashing, the left turn is flashing but, even dimmer than the right. All the bulbs are brand new 3057, the connections are good, fuses are good, and there appears to be no break in the wires, as far as I could see. What could this be? Thanks.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 AT 10:16 AM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
Generally if the lights are dim, there is a ground problem, check the grounds for the tails.
STEVESBS1
Check the circuit boards on tail lights they go bad all the time you can purchase them at any chain parts store
MERLIN2021

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_gmc_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_gmcb_1.jpg

Check black wires.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_tail_light_Boards_GM_1.jpg

Here's the circuit boards, about 15.00 dollars, if it turns out that way!
SKGRAY0112
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My left turn signal and my hazard lights will not flash when my headlights are on. If I turn off the headlights, everything works fine. I tried replacing the flasher but nothing changed. I also noticed a day later that when my left turn signal is on, the display that indicates fan speed and heater temperature flashes along with the turn signal. Not sure if these two problems are related. Any thoughts?
YAHOO4
Check your parking light bulbs one by one removing each one and looking for the element th be broken, if any bulbs have a chrome look to them or a broken element replace with the proper bulb.
-2

Sponsored links