1997 Silverado 2500 will not turn over

BELIKEGOD
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a silverado with 140,000 miles on it and I keep it out in the Chicagoland weather all year round. I hardly get to drive it but when needed it alwasy worked until know. I bought it about 3 years ago and it had 130,000 miles on it. Just recently I went to start it and all I heard was a click. No starter noise, no turning over of the engine. Someone told me they knew someone who had a starting problem with there truck and found it was low on oil by 2 quarts, and that there is a safety that cuts off the engine when that happens. I did find mine was low on oil and refilled it. Is there such a thing and do I have to reset the electrinics to clear an error? Or what do I do from here and where do I look? THANKS
Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 10:38 PM

CARUNDELL
Hey Be,
There is a oil pressure safety, but it won't prevent it from turning over. It only shuts the engine down while its running (if there is an oil pressure problem) Some quick things you can check. Battery cables, for corrosion and tightness. Battery, for the proper charge. If all that is well, then it sounds like your starter has failed and needs to be replaced. Let us know!

Chris
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007 AT 4:18 AM