1997 CHEVY SILVERADO BRAKE LIGHTS

• Ken77
  • 1997 Chevrolet Silverado

1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

Currently I have no brakes lights, all other rear lights function properly. I have replaced the brake light switch and the multifunction switch in the column and have replaced the fuses with no success. However when I depress the brake pedal I can hear the under hood relay clicking so I know I have power at least to the switch.

Help if you can.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 6:21 PM

• mastertechtim

Do the rear turn signals work? Does the third brqke light work or are they all out?

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 7:51 PM
  • Ken77

Yes, turn signals work fine along with tail lights. There is no third light.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 8:07 PM
  • mastertechtim

Check for power at the white wire at the multifunction switch when pressing the brake. if no power then trace it to the brake light switch and repair the broken wire. get back to us if you need further help

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/139033_no_3.jpg

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 8:16 PM
  • Ken77

I have power at the white wire coming from the brake switch, but not at the multifunction switch when I depress the brake.

Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 1:31 PM
  • mastertechtim

The wire is probably broken AT THE solder joint, just run a new wire from white to white at multi function switch and you should be ok

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 5:21 PM
  • Rossickle

1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

My brake lights do not work. The blinkers, reverse and tail lights all work fine. I also have a topper on the truck, which the third brake light works fine. Coming from the front of the truck are 5 wires, Brown, Yellow, Dark Green, Light Green and WHITE. The white wire has power when the brakes are applied, but the white wire is not connected to anything. I dont know where it is suppose to go. The WHITE wire is spliced into for the third brake light( which agian works perfect) Anyone have the correct answer?

Friday, October 31st, 2008 AT 12:18 AM