Brake Light not working

NORBS87
  • 2014 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My Brake Light has stopped working on my 2014 Silverado. I have a truck topper installed and the center brake light is out on it as well. I checked the CHMSL fuse and it is fine. Any ideas?
Saturday, October 24th, 2015 AT 4:48 PM

RIVERMIKERAT
Check the wiring to the lights. Check the bulbs. Make sure the pigtails/receptacles are receiving power when the brakes are applied.
-1
Thursday, April 11th, 2019 AT 5:13 PM
CLAUDEL0007
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The brakes lights on my truck will not work when I press my brakes. The tail lights work on the top but the bottom tail lights does not work. The third brake light works, located at the top above the rear glass. I tried checking the fuse under the hood and on side of the door. All seem to be good, I even changed the brake terminal under the brake pedal. The brake light bulbs r good, Cant figure it out.
-2
Monday, January 6th, 2020 AT 2:33 PM (Merged)
Test or replace the turn signal and flasher module all the brake and tail circuits going to the back goes thru here
CLAUDEL0007
Where are the turn signal and flasher module located.
+1
Its in left of instrument panel fuse block on lower left side of dash -sorry no pic available
CLAUDEL0007
Ok, one more thing, how can I test it to see if its bad
You can bring it in to the dealership and get it checked they're the ones with the special testing equipment or fix by replacement
SSTEVE694
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Electrical problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 32500 miles

my brake lights do not work, but the cab brake light does. The flashers will work and turn indicators also. So I know its not in the fuse, and changed out both bulbs.

Just found out a few days ago. Brake lights do not work but all other signals and the cab brake light works.

Tested everything, switch is fine, receiving power to the fuse panel under the hood and in the cab fuse. Grounds look good, bulbs good. No visible wiring issues.

What would you recommend as a way to test the switch? I have spend 8 hours testing every wire in/out of the turn switch and the fuse panel to no conclusions. I tried jumping across the switch itself to no success. Tried unplugging it to no success.

The white(brake power) is good coming out of the switch going into the fuse panel and into the turn lever itself. The CM brake light tests good. The rear brake fuse jumps up and drops back down to zero on the multi meter. Testing the backside of the fuse panel blue wire tests good 12v when pressing the brake pedal which is odd. From the wiring diagram all this doesn't make sense. I am looking for a way to make sure its the switch itself before purchasing one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anyone figure this out yet?
+1
KEN
Hey guys,

There is a fuse that runs just the lower brake lights, here is a guide and some wiring diagrams to help you trace the problem down. Check to see if there is power at the brake lights to see if the problem is a ground issue. Check the brake light wiring diagrams below so you can see how the system works.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-lights-not-working

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
+5
WALKER9797
Hi everyone.

Here is a new twist. I have a 2004 silverado with no brake lights or 3rd light. I have power at the underhood fuse and at the orange and when pedal depressed power in white wire. However I have no power in 15 amp dash fuse. What do you suggest?

Jim walker
KEN
What number is the fuse? Here are wiring diagrams so you can see how it works with the flasher module location which sounds like it is out. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
JSCHEVY
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The brake lights on the bed are not working. However the brake light on the cab is working. I replaced the bulbs and I checked the fuses, but that was not it. Please help me figure out what to do?
JAMES W.
First question I always ask is; do you have a trailer connector spliced in behind the bumper? 75% of the time, that's where the problem is. Please advise.
+7
JSCHEVY
I believe I have one but it is factory installed. Does that make a difference? And, what in particular would be the problem there, a short or is there a fuse there?
+1
JAMES W.
You will want to test your trailer connector to see if you have brake lights there. You're looking for an "open" in the circuit somewhere. The brake light switch has to be functioning or the cab light wouldn't be working.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_brake_lights1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_brake_lights2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_brake_lights3_1.jpg

JSCHEVY
I tested the harnesses that adjoin on the connection block. I get main power coming in. However, when I test the brake connections, no power. I have power to my tail lights, blinkers and all, which look to be coming from that block as well. A parts guy said that usually those blocks go out on one full side, which sounds to me like if it was the block then I would have either the right or the lefts side lights out. You said that it could be an open, but I don't know where to test it to find out, because I am not getting power to my brake lights from that block. What suggestions do you have?
TRUCKGUY1016
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The Brake lights on the bed dont work, also the trailer connection isnt working. My third brake light works though) I replaced the bulbs in the tail light assembly. And checked the old bulbs but they work fine. I checked the fuses under the hood and in the dash. Dash-good. Underhood-bad. So I replaced the one under the hood. The one in the dash says "VEH STOP" and the one under the hood says "TRL PARK" (the new one hasnt blown) ok, Thinking I had the problem fixed ! But nope! I came on this site and found a trouble shooting guide step by step. Ok thought I had it now. I followed each step and found I had power to both fuses, the brake light switch(on the orange, and the white) I have power all the way through the check list till the last step. When I check I have no voltage coming through the light Blue wire at the tail light. I crawled under the truck and followed the harness back all the way to underneath the cab. I peeled back the plastic protective sleeve, and fanned out the wires. I stripped off a tiny piece of the jacket on that light blue wire, and checked the voltage. ( With the brake off, and with it depressed- nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! I fear it is a bad wiring harness, But like I mentioned, I have parking lights, back up lights, turn signals, just no brake lights.
JAMES W.
You're right, the chances of both sides going bad are poor to none.
Let's start from square 1. We'll be testing at the socket for the "turn signal flasher module", under the left side of the dash. The brake lights go through this module.
The brake lights are fused seperately from a 25amp fuse(# unknown) in the underhood fuse block. This fuse should be hot all the time.
Fuse good, yes, test the orange wire at brake light switch.
Orange hot, yes, push the brake pedal and test the white wire on the BL switch.
White hot, yes? Test the white wire at the flasher module, terminal B, with brake pedal pressed.
Hot, yes?, check fuse #9 in fuse block by flasher module.
Fuse good?, yes, check the junctions and connections on the light blue wires going back to the brake light lamps.
Fuse #9 should be hot when the brake pedal is pressed.Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_05_silverado_flasher_1.jpg

+3
INTERNETMECHANIC
I couldn't do any better than your doing, I'd have to backtrack the circuit. There appears to be a junction for the fuse circuit at the underhood fuse box. Lite blue wire, E7 in the diagram. That circuit comes from the stop fuse.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/512072_silverado_brake_lite_1.jpg

+1
02REDCAMARO
I had a similar problem with a 96 Silverado with a fiberglass topper. Problem I found was a bad ground that someone had done when they wired up the third brake light and interior dome light on the topper. I found the bad ground on the rear frame rail where the topper installer decided to terminate it.
I'd look underneath the box for some non-factory wiring, and check and clean the termination points.
+1

Sponsored links