1996 Chevy Silverado blows cold

BALI DEE
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Ac works fine, but heater won't blow warm.25 amp fuse is not blown, inside cab?
Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 12:23 PM

WRENCHTECH
With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If they are.

The temperature is controlled by the use of an air mix door that is operated by an electric motor/actuator. This door can be jammed or the actuator can be inoperative or have stripped plastic gears internally.
Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
BALI DEE
Thank you Wrench tech for the timely response. I checked the 2 hoses as you indicated, and it was recognized that one, the outlet of the motor, was indeed as hot as the coolant, but I never was able to get the return hose to rise to the equal temp? I suppose that there's a switch valve that is not working or whenever the hose blew, and was changed before I bought the truck, has possibly clogged the core?(I did have to change the thermostat due to improper reading, and found parts of the old hose fitting logged in the thermostat.) I could find it possible that maybe some of the same metal crumbs could have made it downstream to foul the switch valve?
Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 2:51 PM
WRENCHTECH
Yes, that would indicate a clogged core. I would remove both hose and flush it thoroughly with a garden hose under pressure from both directions and see if that helps.
Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 3:18 PM