CHEVY 4 WHEEL DRIVE PROBLEMS

1994 Chevrolet Silverado

hd2007

September, 14, 2009 AT 12:06 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1994 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 186000 miles

when I put this truck in 4 wheel high and get to 40 mph or higher there is a growling noise and the front wheels throw the truck 6 to8 inches to either side constantly. The ball joints, tierods and other sterring parts check out good. The cv joints seem to be good. Cant figure this one out.

4 Wheel Drive

1 ANSWER

merlin2021

September, 14, 2009 AT 1:17 PM

Growling noises at speeds in excess of 35mph is usualy wheel bearings, check them quik! Spindle damage can occur if untreated! Look for metal " flaking" on the bearings if present, that's your problem. If none, then remove the Differential cover and look in there, there are carrier bearings and inner axle bearings at the front of the tubes.

hd2007

September, 14, 2009 AT 2:38 PM

The 1994 silverado does not have spindles it has bearing hubs and the diff. Does not have a cover. It has 2 havles and is bolted to the frame. It drives fine with no noise in 2 wheel drive. The growling and wandering only happens in 4 wheel drive. It also has an electrical part that connects the front axles in 4 wheel drive. Thanks

merlin2021

September, 14, 2009 AT 4:30 PM

OK my error! It could be the carrier brearings, the fron Diif only spins in 4X4. Or the pinon bearing. BTW how are the bushings that hold it in place?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_k1500a_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_k1500b_2.jpg

Quagmire86

September, 14, 2009 AT 9:58 PM

I had a similar problem with an S-10 blazer once. I would get a growling or grinding noise from the front axle when I put it into 4-high. What the problem was, is that the shift fork (Part #16 in the diagram above) was worn as if someone had " machined" a groove into the fork. It was caused by excessive wear while the shift fork was riding/pulling against the the sleeve (part #22) to engage the the 4x4 system. It is a fairly straight forward repair, even though you have to seperate the axle tube from the front differential (The axle doesn't have to come all the way off. You just have to move it out of the way to pull out the old shift fork and install the new one.)

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service