1990 Chevy Silverado TRANNY HELP!

IRONMAN ROBERTS
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1990 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic N/A miles

HEY GUY'S, MY TRANNY ON MY TRUCK IS SPILLING FLUID OUT OF ONE SIDE ON THE PAN. (MORE LIKE DUMPING FLUID OUT). I BOUGHT THE TRUCK FROM A FAMILY FRIEND IN GEORGIA AND BEFORE I DROVE IT BACK TO FLORIDA IT NEEDED A DETENT CABLE REPLACED (IT HAD A RIGGED ONE ON IT) MY FATHER IN LAW REPLACED IT WITH ONE HE HAD IN HIS SHOP AND SO I DROVE IT TO FLORIDA. WELL ABOUT HALFWAY THROUGH THE TRIP THE TRANNY STARTED SLIPPING SO I STOPPED PUT IN SOME FLUID AND THAT'S WHEN I NOTICED IT POURING EVERYWHERE, WHETHER THE TRUCK WAS RUNNING OR NOT, ALSO NOTE THAT THE FAMILY FRIEND WAS DRIVING THE TRUCK DAILY FOR FOUR MONTHS WITH THE RIGGED CABLE ON IT. SO I ENDED UP GETTING A TOW HOME. TO SUM IT UP MY TRANNY WON'T CATCH GEAR AND WON'T HOLD FLUID SO I'M WONDERING WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE? ALSO THE DETENT CABLE THAT'S ON IT DOES HAVE A LITTLE SLACK IN IT UP IN THE ENGINE AREA, COULD THAT BE PART OF THE SHIFTING PROBLEM? PLEASE HELP I LOVE MY TRUCK AND WANT TO SAVE IT!
Tuesday, January 1st, 2008 AT 6:11 PM

MHPAUTOS
You will have to drop the transmission pan replace the gasket, and check that the Pan is not out of shape. This should fix the oil leak, as for the cable, there should no be any slack in the cable, but at the same time it should not be tight, often with older transmissions it is an on road adjustment, drive and check kick down, and adj as required.

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008 AT 2:48 AM