CHEVY EGR VALVE

2000 Chevrolet S-10

guitargoalie

January, 6, 2008 AT 11:11 AM

Engine problem
2000 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

I just pulled the codes on my 2000 s-10 and came up with a p0404, EGR circuit range/performance, and a P1404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Pintel Stuck Open.

I removed the EGR valve to see if it was stuck open and it is not it can be moved easily. Is there any way to test the electrical part of the EGR valve?

Egr Valve

mastertechtim

January, 6, 2008 AT 11:19 AM

The pintle in the middle of egr valve should move fairly easily. Most common cause of your concern is carbon stuck in valve. Try cleaning it out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

guitargoalie

January, 6, 2008 AT 11:34 AM

The valve does move easily and there is very little carbon in the passages.

I just want to see if there is any other way to test the valve before I buy another one at $220

mastertechtim

January, 6, 2008 AT 11:55 AM

Just double check the connector at the valve. Lightly pull each wire to make sure there isnt a broken wire inside the insulation. Otherwise unless you have a wire chafed somewhere which is unlikely. You will probably need a new valve.