CHEVY FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS

1999 Chevrolet S-10

martini77

September, 9, 2008 AT 8:06 PM

1999 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 100k+ miles

I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they are working fine, but I am only getting 5volts to the fuel pump at the tank. Is there another relay that I need to check? If so where is it and how do I check it? If that is not the problem what is?

September, 9, 2008 AT 8:31 PM

Test the fuel pump relay or swapped it for a known good one its located in underhood fuse block.

martini77

September, 10, 2008 AT 4:40 PM

Swapping out the relay did not resolve the issue. When I turn the key I get 12V to the pump for a brief period, but the pump does not activate. What can I try next.

September, 10, 2008 AT 9:50 PM

Power the pump direct from the battery and tell me what happened.

martini77

September, 11, 2008 AT 5:50 PM

I connected another battery to the pump and it starts working, could it be the connector at the pump?

September, 11, 2008 AT 6:32 PM

Could be the connector test it or an open wire on the gray going back to the fuel pump relay.

martini77

September, 15, 2008 AT 4:59 PM

Well, I charged the battery replaced the connector at the pump. Using the new splices I checked the voltage at the wires. The combination that powers the fuel pump does not get any voltage to it. All the other combinations of wires get 12v for a second or two when the key is turned on, then all go to zero v except the purple/orange combination which gets 1.27v all the time. What can I try now?

September, 15, 2008 AT 5:27 PM

All the other combinations of wires get 12v for a second or two when the key is turned on, this happens bcuz the relay de-energizes

Test the ground wire to the pump-

martini77

September, 16, 2008 AT 8:16 PM

Sorry to sound stupid, but I don't have a clue when it comes to auto electronics. How do I check the ground wire to the pump?

September, 16, 2008 AT 9:28 PM

If it comes On then the ground is good.

martini77

September, 17, 2008 AT 4:24 PM

With the key on I connected another battery to the connections that power the pump, and it turned on. So that means it is grounded, right? What can I try next? Thanks for the help.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test