1996 Chevy S-10 fuel pump

DUCKSHARP
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
I have recently took on a project of restoring a 1996 chevy s10 ZR2 pickup truck. I have just recently replaced the raidator supoort to a 1998 model, I had to replace the front cap and like the newer model front end. I dont know the history of the truck I tolled it home. I not very mechanically inclined that is to say I know very little about vehicles. Now to my question, I having problem with the fuel pump "I think" I have check the ECM battery fuse it test good Im getting 12 volts at the fuse box. I have check the fuel pump relay by switching it with the horm relay it check out good i'm also getting 12 volts thier to. I have unpluged the fuel pump module from the gas tank not sure what that does the book I have says it for fuel level sending unit and full pump 12 volt supply. Is that what send the imformation to the gas gauge needle on the cluster? And is that all it does? It also has a 3 wire plug on the fuel pump module "not sure what that does" I think it the power supply for the pump. Is this correct? I have check the power supply to both of these plugs and i"m only getting 6 volts unless I jumper a wire from the battery to the fuel pump test terminal then i'm getting 12 volts. I would like to know what prongs on the 2 plugs should be sending volt reading. That about all I know I would really like to exhast all other option before repalceing the fuel pump. I here so many comments about people replacing there full pump just to find out that was not it.
Friday, August 27th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM

Hi ducksharp, Welcome to 2carpros

Power the fuel pump gray wire at the fuel pump connector from the battery positive post and tell me if it comes on-let me know
+1
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 2:42 AM
DUCKSHARP
I ran the wire from the positive post to the gray wire conector i'm getting 12 volts to the plug, but the fuel pump did not come on. I tried with key in the on postion and off. Does the fuel pump module or the 4 prong switch need to be plug in when performing this test?
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 10:13 AM
The connector has to be plugged -in

Check the ground circuit black wire at inside left frame rail, if its okay-the fuel pump is defective-also check the other grounf for the sending unit at rear of right cyl head-See below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp_62.jpg

+1
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 4:52 PM
DUCKSHARP
I have put a new fuel pump on my truck, but still is not coming on. I not getting nothing through the gray wire 6 volts through the purple wire when key is on. I have check the the wire with a meter on the black and gray wire and I am getting nothing should it show some kind of reading? Do I need 12 volts through the gray and 12 volts through the purple? I really not sure how the wiring harness color code works. The harness wire color are black/white, purple, gray and solid black the same as my orginal wire on my truck I mayched by color is that right? Is thier anything I may have un plug when I replace my radiator support? I unplug the wiring harness for the lights on the passanger side when I replaced. I still get 12 volts in the fuse box and 12 volts through the relay.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 7:29 PM
DUCKSHARP
Im sorry I unplug the driver side light harness when I replaced my radator support.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 7:42 PM
DUCKSHARP
I have ran a wire from the battery hot post and used the black ground wire from the truck to the fuel pump module and the pump comes on, but I cannot get any power to the gray wire at the fuel pump module. Any suggestion? Where does the gray wire go after it leaves the fuel pump module? I have 12 volts at the fuse box and relay. Can it be the oil pressure switch?
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 7:36 PM
Depending on the 8th digit of the VIN number (Yours is a transition year) it may have a oil pressure switch for the fuel pump. If so I have seen many go bad. See the wiring diagram below
Monday, February 25th, 2019 AT 6:25 PM
ROCK-AN-ROLL
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
I replaced the fuel pump about 6 mos. Ago. I was driving and the pickup stalled like it ran out of gas. So I put gas in it anyway and it started right up ran about a mile and quit again in front of my house. Went out about 2 hrs later and it started right up again so I put it in the yard. Does a fuel pump work only sometimes? Relay maybe? Please help Mahalo. Leroy
Monday, February 25th, 2019 AT 6:27 PM (Merged)
Check and test the fuel pump relay and also check the fuel pressure.
SCOTT DAVID
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
I had a bad fuel pump. I repacedit. But it still will not start. Checked for power to the pump did not have power only if I moved the key I repaced Ignition switch. Now have power but will not start. I can jump the pump with a battery charger and I can then start the truck. I had checked the fuse and the relay befor I did all that. What more can I check?
If the ECM B fuse and the fuel pump relay is good the fuel pump should come on for 2 secs and stops if both good-if not check and test if okay could be the computer controoled of t he fuel pump relay
CECIL ANDREWS
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
1996 S10 Blazer (4.3 4WD). Turned over but wouldn't start. It started with starting fluid so I replaced the fuel pump. New pump didn't help. Checked plug to the pump and had about 6VDC for about 2 sec. Plug did not appear to have a ground connection. Tapped solid black wire with a ground connection but didn't help. Tried to test wires but am getting conflicting info on location of Fuel Pump relay. Voltage checks do not seem to match my diagrams so I'm not sure if I am on the correct relay plug. Can you give me some guidance?
Behind glove box, on relay center. See below location no.3
-1
YOBRO5242
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
I have a 1996 chevy s10 and since last summer the s10 would randomly stall. I noticed that when it stalls that there is a clicking noise coming from the glove compartment which houses 3 relays. So I replaced all 3 relays and the problem still occurs but the clicking noise is gone. Now the truck starts up and the fuel pump kicks on but the truck only runs for about 10-15 minutes and then shuts off and doesnt start back up for between 20 minutes to sometimes a couple days. Please help me
RICKYMEARS
I am having a similar problem w/ a '96 Isuzu Hombre. My truck will run but then quits. The relays in the glove box are getting overheating and failing is my guess but I don't know the underlying cause. I have replaced my fuel pump and those relays. When ever it dies on me and I attempt to start it right after wards I can't hear the fuel pump cycle. Is your problem like mine? What have you done?

Thanks.
TAMEY_K
  • 1995 CHEVROLET S-10
Plz tell me where to find the fuel pump relay on my 1995 s10 2wd 4 cyl. Also I would love to have a
osu diagram I replaced the fuel pump (had some one do it)about 3 to 4 years ago. Now im having problems while driving, even after it sits all night it will occassionally just shut down, sometimes re starts or not start at all. Later it will.
Okay the fuel pump relay is at no.3 and the OSU is on no.8 above the A the square box and your fuel pump/oil sending unit electrical circuit is below that.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_1995_S10_fuel_pump_realy_and_oSU_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_oil_sending_unit_and_fuel_pump_circuit_10.gif

Good LUck and have a nice day
www. .com
PATRICKMULCAHY
  • 1989 CHEVROLET S-10
Fuel pump relay is not being activated by the computer. I've checked the pump, relay and disconnected the oil sending unit but still no signal to the relay for operation. My relay is good, my pump is new but for some other reason the computer has shut down the pump. Any suggestions?
Check the ecm B fuse for voltage, use a voltage tester. With an oil pressure switch wire in parallel with the pump relay, if that switch is functional and has voltage, the computer can't stop the pump from running. Once you crank it enough to bring up oil pressure and that switch closes, the pump will get voltage, regardless of the relay.
PATRICKMULCAHY
All fuses show power, I'm uncertain about the parallel instructions you gave. I'm not familular with an oil pressure switch. I also am not sure how the fuel pump relay is switched, whether with power to the green/wht wire or ground to it accually activates the gray wire. I do understand the oil pressure can shut off the relay but I don't know how. Can you elaborate further? Thank you for your time!