1996 Chevy S-10 fuel pump

DUCKSHARP
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
I have recently took on a project of restoring a 1996 chevy s10 ZR2 pickup truck. I have just recently replaced the raidator supoort to a 1998 model, I had to replace the front cap and like the newer model front end. I dont know the history of the truck I tolled it home. I not very mechanically inclined that is to say I know very little about vehicles. Now to my question, I having problem with the fuel pump "I think" I have check the ECM battery fuse it test good Im getting 12 volts at the fuse box. I have check the fuel pump relay by switching it with the horm relay it check out good i'm also getting 12 volts thier to. I have unpluged the fuel pump module from the gas tank not sure what that does the book I have says it for fuel level sending unit and full pump 12 volt supply. Is that what send the imformation to the gas gauge needle on the cluster? And is that all it does? It also has a 3 wire plug on the fuel pump module "not sure what that does" I think it the power supply for the pump. Is this correct? I have check the power supply to both of these plugs and i"m only getting 6 volts unless I jumper a wire from the battery to the fuel pump test terminal then i'm getting 12 volts. I would like to know what prongs on the 2 plugs should be sending volt reading. That about all I know I would really like to exhast all other option before repalceing the fuel pump. I here so many comments about people replacing there full pump just to find out that was not it.
Friday, August 27th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM

Hi ducksharp, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Power the fuel pump gray wire at the fuel pump connector from the battery positive post and tell me if it comes on-let me know
+1
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 2:42 AM
DUCKSHARP
I ran the wire from the positive post to the gray wire conector i'm getting 12 volts to the plug, but the fuel pump did not come on. I tried with key in the on postion and off. Does the fuel pump module or the 4 prong switch need to be plug in when performing this test?
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 10:13 AM
The connector has to be plugged -in

Check the ground circuit black wire at inside left frame rail, if its okay-the fuel pump is defective-also check the other grounf for the sending unit at rear of right cyl head-See below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp_62.jpg

+1
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 4:52 PM
DUCKSHARP
I have put a new fuel pump on my truck, but still is not coming on. I not getting nothing through the gray wire 6 volts through the purple wire when key is on. I have check the the wire with a meter on the black and gray wire and I am getting nothing should it show some kind of reading? Do I need 12 volts through the gray and 12 volts through the purple? I really not sure how the wiring harness color code works. The harness wire color are black/white, purple, gray and solid black the same as my orginal wire on my truck I mayched by color is that right? Is thier anything I may have un plug when I replace my radiator support? I unplug the wiring harness for the lights on the passanger side when I replaced. I still get 12 volts in the fuse box and 12 volts through the relay.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 7:29 PM
DUCKSHARP
Im sorry I unplug the driver side light harness when I replaced my radator support.
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 7:42 PM
DUCKSHARP
I have ran a wire from the battery hot post and used the black ground wire from the truck to the fuel pump module and the pump comes on, but I cannot get any power to the gray wire at the fuel pump module. Any suggestion? Where does the gray wire go after it leaves the fuel pump module? I have 12 volts at the fuse box and relay. Can it be the oil pressure switch?
-1
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 7:36 PM