1995 Chevy S-10 1995 Chevy S-10 - engine shutoff sporadicall

EHOTTENSTEIN
  • 1995 CHEVROLET S-10
My 1995 Chevy S10 is acting as though I turned off the ignition key while I'm driving. It is only doing it when it is cold outside and the truck has not fully warmed up. While I am driving, the engine shuts off, all dashboard lights come, the doors unlock, and interior light comes on, just like what happens when I do turn off the engine. But while I'm driving, the engine immediately "restarts" so it is like a buck or a miss, and I just keep going. It does it normally two times within about 5 minutes, so I'm wondering if there is a relay switch or sensor that might be exposed or have some moisture getting to it until the truck warms up.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 3:56 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Where the doors unlock I would be leaning toward a ignition switch. Just as if you turned off the ignition. I have seen the ignition portion of the switch get burnt out from normal usage and sometimes become open and recycling the key makes a connection again
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 12:23 PM
EHOTTENSTEIN
Thanks for your info, and I take it from what you said that I should try replacing the ignition switch?
Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM