1993 Chevy S-10 1993 S-10 Blazer not turning over

NOVACLONE
  • 1993 CHEVROLET S-10
1993 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1993 s10 blazer that doesn't turn over when the switch is turned all the way to start. Headlights come on bright, fuel pump comes on, digital dash lights up, battery has 12.1 volts with no load, and when you turn on headlights, or turn key to start, it doesn't show any volts dropping form the volt meter I had attached directly to the battery.I have tried moving the steering column up and down, pullling the shifter up and down. What next?I am currently having it towed home so I can look at it closer and where it is warmer.
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 5:56 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

So if I understand. You turn the key all the way to start and nothing. No noise, no click. No nothing.

If this is so to me it is either your starter or your ignition switch.

I would take jumper cables and connect the positive to the positive side of the battery then touch the other end to the starter at the bolt where the positive cable connects. There will be a spark.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN PARK AND EMERGENCY BRAKE SET. PLEAE BE SAFE!

Next, if the starter turns over then most likely it isn't the starter I would say it is the ignition switch. For the ignition switch you would have to go into the column.I have info on how to change but not how to check.

Please tell me your engine size in liter and if the starter check works for you.
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 6:17 PM
NOVACLONE
Well by accident I found out that it must have been a the starter not grounded well. When I was underneath checking the voltage of the purple wire, I had my son turn the ignition switch to the start and it showed that I had 12.3 volts. I had the starter unbolted so that I could reach the connections with the voltage tester and the starter body slipped off to the side touching the frame which in turn made the starter turn. I pulled the starter away from the frame again and turned the ignition switch to the start position and the starter didn't turn.I then bolted the starter back on and it started the engine right up. Everything good now, who would guess something this little. Thanks again.
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 10:17 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Fantastic and thanks for the info.

Oh yes my friend. It is always best to start with a good general look over as you did, touching, shaking, pulling etc. There have been times I have spent an hour looking for a cause when it was something very simple that I should have caught by first just giving it a good visual or checking a fuse.

Glad you found the problem!
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 10:27 PM